Installation fails from CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissko

Cadet
Hi, I am brand new to FreeNAS but I wanted to try setting up a Plex server on an older HP computer. I tried doing a CD install the first time and it looked like it did what it should but I couldn't get the pc to boot from the flash drive. So I tried to do the installation again, and the GNU GRUB screen looks messed up. Instead of a nice box like I see in all of the videos, it's a dotted line box with cruddy looking font. As soon as I hit the Install FreeNAS, it throws a bunch of garbage text on the screen and crashes. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
upload_2018-2-6_15-13-45.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrissko

Cadet
Ok I will gather this info and post soon, but has anyone else ever seen a screen like this before?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I can't play the video, but the still looks about normal for Grub. The screens that follow that one are different, with the blue background.

Chrissko

Cadet
It's not a video, just a screen capture. My understanding is that Grub should look like this not that mess on my previous picture.
upload_2018-2-7_13-41-6.png

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Grub usually looks like that, but it depends on the fonts in the video card or motherboard. Which we still don't know. It looks to me like the line-drawing characters have been replaced with normal ones. That might happen when a serial console is enabled.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that FreeNAS is the wrong project for your use case. FreeNAS is first-and-foremost about reliability/data protection. Features like plugins/jails are really afterthoughts. If your primary use is as a Plex server, you're probably better off setting up Ubuntu Server or CentOS.

Understand, I'm not trying to steer you off from FreeNAS. I just want to help you make the most of your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.