Help - installing FreeNas 9.1 from Cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriele

Cadet
Good night,
FreeNAS recently discovered and very interested as it serves very well what I need, but did not start well, I am not able to install it, my steps:

1-I downloaded this version: (FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64.iso)
2- Burn the image ISO in to the cd with Nero;
3 - set the boot in motheboard from start with cd;
4 - input cd in to the driver;
5- driver read the cd, boot it starts but is carrying, loading and not going to install screen.

like I said, it starts to boot from cd but is charging and does not follow, like I was missing some file to link to and play installation screen.
What am I doing wrong?

Processor: AMD A6
Ram: 4Gb in duall channel
HD for system: Seagate Barracuda 320GB

Whattteva

Wizard

Gabriele

Cadet
Exactly, i did that, tried twice and 2 different downloads but the same problem, read, read but dont charge the menu for install.

Whattteva

Wizard
You probably need to post the output of the boot screen to get further help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Burning CDs(and DVDs) at slower speeds is a farce. There was a cool engineering document years ago explaining that you actually WANT to burn at higher speeds so that any "noise" from the rotation of the disk is at a higher frequency(this preventing seek errors). Burning at a slower speed causes the "wobble" of the disk to be at the exact same frequency as the data(which is a worse case scenario). Even if you want to argue that the laser/dye work better at a lower speed, they really don't. If you follow the power curve for the laser at slower speeds it actually steps down the laser's power, yielding in the disk burn being "less deep"(I can't think of the word off the top of my head) on slower speeds.

But hey, it's your time to "burn". Pun not intended.

If I find the document I'll post it. It's quite an interesting read.

Whattteva

Wizard
Really? That's interesting. I've burned a dozen or so windows and OSX medias over the years that just won't install right (missing or corrupt files). But, it never ever happens if I burn at slowest speed.

Call it a placebo effect, but I've gotten enough coasters to the point that I'm completely sold on burning slowly. Oh well, like you said it's my time to burn. It never matters really cause I just start the burn and do other things while waiting. It's not like PC's these days can't handle multitasking while burning.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I never burn ISOs for installation anymore. I just do boot from ISOs using grub4dos and install Windows(and Linux) at super speeds. I have a 64GB USB stick that I keep various ISOs on and a menu to choose the one I need. Works great! The fact that I can install Windows 7 to a system with an SSD in less than 10 minutes is amazing to me. You can start a stopwatch and before it hits 10 minutes I'll be booted up on Windows 7 and at the desktop. :)

Gabriele

Cadet
People, tank's for reply my answer but i ask not to deviate from the subject. I am tryng to slove the problem, for this mi question's are:
1 - I work correctly for burn to ISO directly in to the disk with Nero or is it necessary work image before;
2 - which is the time required for the CD is loaded and go to the menu, maybe I'm in a hurry but I think more than five minutes is not much?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
1. You only have to do what is discussed in the manual for installation. Nothing more.
2. 5 minutes should be enough time, but it depends on alot of factors. If your system is very slow or you have alot of hardware that needs to be detected then it could take a few more minutes.

Gabriele

Cadet
Ok, tanks,
Today or tomorrou i retry the test and post of result, but my problem is dont cherge the menu of the boot

paleoN

Wizard

Whattteva

Wizard
Really? I just assume the d in the beginning stands for dave, lol.

Gabriele

Cadet
People, Good night;
- Frist - sincerely thank's for any replyand helps;
- Second - I discovery the problem, this dont are in ISO image but yes in my Hardware, and look that is top of the line hardware (Asus Formula, AMD Vishera 64bit 4.0 Ghz, 8gb dual channel (2x4) crsair venegance). Today I tried install the system in another pc (I have Lan House) "It's only test" and is ok, the system load form the image.

- Is the hint - if another people have the same problem, chek the compatibility with the hardware.

Thank all and sorry my english, i am learning.

By

Status
Not open for further replies.