Install Fail - Stops at BTX Loader

richardheng

Dabbler
I tried on my HP 6004 Pro and got hit with the exact same issue. Stuck at BTX Loader... sigh. Isn't there any way to resolve this? So these old HP pcs won't be wasted.

mobrien118

Dabbler
Same thing here - HP 6005 - same result. I found this unresolved FreeBSD bug that looks like the root cause.

Also found a handful of posts around the net of people complaining of the same bug over the course of at least 7 years and eventually giving up, so, it's not looking too bright...

On the other hand, once FreeNAS goes full Linux, maybe this will go away...?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
7 years of bugs have not been resolved.

You failed to include your patch.

Look, FreeBSD is a predominantly server-oriented OS, and FreeNAS is exclusively a server. If you take random PC desktop hardware and try to put FreeBSD on it, and it doesn't work, that's unfortunate. However, fixing obscure bugs that only afflict a few hardware platforms suggests that it is the hardware platform you're using that is buggy, and resolving this would require a FreeBSD developer to have access to that hardware. People can report quirky hardware all day long, but without the ability to reproduce a problem, developers don't really have a great chance to fix it. These things generally involve esoteric bits of the BIOS which may have been written with an expectation that the host was going to be used for Windows.