bootstrap loader can't load kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
>6 months ago I had a problem with my zpool not recognizing a replacement drive completely, and eventually just gave up and turned off the server (8.0). Recently I wanted to get the system back up and running (wanted my Christmas music) but figured I would install 8.3 and hoped that would recognize the zpool and make everything happy. However, when I tried to boot off a new 8.3.0 disc, I ran into a completely new problem - the disc wouldn't boot, nor would any other installation media or previously installed and running system. I am not familiar with this BTZ loader and am now in need of assistance. This is what I get before getting the 'OK' prompt, and have few options from that point:

Code:
CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... File not found
Looking up /boot/loader... Found
Relocating the loader and the BTX
Starting the BTX loader

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.02
Consoles: Internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS Drive K: is disk 8
BIOS 619kB/3135296kB available memory

FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(Root@build.ixsystems.com, Wed Oct 24 00:52:58 PDT 2012)
\
Can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help
OK _

When I put the old 8.0 flash drive back in and tried to boot off that, it gave me the same problem, also with 8.3.0 on USB and 8.2.0 on USB. The hardware is an Asus F1A75-V Pro motherboard and A6-3500 CPU with 16GB RAM. I had no problems running it before my hard drive gave up the ghost and I swapped that, but I have not changed the hardware since I turned it off and the system has simply remained dormant waiting for me to have time to resolve the problem. While I have noticed a couple threads that seemed to be similar, none had any responses and the closest was from 2 years ago.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? I have to figure the problem is hardware, except that the hardware was fully functional 8 months ago and nothing should have changed in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.