Install Driver for LSI SAS 9201-16I HBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

statik

Explorer
I apologize if a post like this was already posted, but I could not find what I need.

My problem is that I can not get the LSI driver to load, below is what I have and what I have done.

Obviously I have a LSI SAS 9201-16I HBA, and I am trying install the latest Free_BSD_Driver_P17 that is provided here http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9201-16i.aspx because I assume this is the correct one. I downloaded the driver file, unzipped it and found what I assume is the correct mpslsi.ko driver module located under Free_BSD_Driver_P17\mps2_rel\pkg\stage\9.0.0\amd64\boot\kernel. Please correct me if I am wrong, also I have the 64bit version of FreeNAS with an Intel Core I3 CPU.

To install the mpslsi.ko I followed the instructions here http://blog.hani-ibrahim.de/en/netzwerktreiber-auf-freenas-installieren.html, in addition I had to use mount -uw / to allow me to copy and then mount -r / when I was done. This worked and I verified it by viewing the mpslsi.ko file in the /boot/kernel directory. Then within FreeNAS, I created a new Tunable by following instructions here http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Tunables, and in the Variable I put mpslsi.ko, and for Value I put YES

I did a reboot and check if the driver module was loaded using kldstat command in the Shell, and the driver module is not loaded.

Please help, what am I doing wrong. I want to load the latest driver for my HBA because I have been having problems with my new FreeNAS build.

statik

Explorer
Also note, I have already updated the Firmware and BIOS of the LSI SAS 9201-16I HBA when I had plugged into my Windows 7 PC.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I haven't done exactly what you have done, but the LSI drive is included with FreeNAS already. So before you can try to load a driver by tunable you will need to recompile FreeNAS to remove the old driver. Otherwise the new driver won't load with some error like "module already loaded".

Any reason you aren't just using the built-in driver? It's only P14 I believe, but it should still work.

statik

Explorer
Can I put the new driver in the FreeNAS ISO that I download from the site?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. You will need to recompile FreeNAS to remove the old driver. Recompiling is one step towards getting an ISO that doesn't have the driver.

Optionally: you could add the driver to your FreeNAS code before compiling so that the driver is already included.

Another option: You could update the driver in the FreeNAS repository so that everyone can enjoy the new driver.

statik

Explorer
It works, I can do a camcontrol devlist and my drives show, but I have been having multiple issues, and the latest one is a i/o error when trying to copy files to my FreeNAS volume. I have already been eliminating bad hard drives, I have a total of 20 1tb drives but am only using 10 of the 20 now.

statik

Explorer
where is the repository and how soon will it be updated to download for install?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I believe it'll be instant(it just needs approval from one of the FreeNAS developers). But it won't be in the current version. It'll be in any build compiled after the developers accept the changes.

And if you have to ask then you probably don't have the experience to do the changes.

statik

Explorer
where is this repository? link please

statik

Explorer
Why can't I just do an uninstall command in the shell to remove the driver?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The driver is part of the kernel. It can't just be removed or disabled. :(

If you search the forums, everyone that tries to use updated drivers over a driver built into FreeNAS has these same problems. They usually just give up and use the one that comes with FreeNAS. You still haven't explained why you feel the need to use the latest. If you have a need that involves system reliability or potential data loss you should find the ticket that's open for the driver(I know one exists because I wrote it) and the developers will probably deal with that ticket quickly.

neto_hugo

Explorer
It's not a question about "installing drivers" but it's how can I see the HDDs connected to the 9201-16i on FreeNAS UI.

The system is working all ok! I can transfer files between the HDDs connected on the mobo with the HDDs connected on the HBA.

The problem is when I try to view the disks in FreeNAS UI. It's shows only the HDDs connected on the mobo!!! The code: camcontrol devlist on the shell recognizes all HDD.

How can I manage ALL the disks on FreeNAS UI?

Thanks

neto_hugo

Explorer
Does MegaCLI provide the info you need?

Thanks for your help!

But every MegaCli code returns: Exit Code: 0x01.

I guess cause MegaCli just works for RAID cards and the 9201-16i is not a RAID card? o_O

Thanks

D

dlavigne

You definitely should open a ticket at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.