LSI MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e driver installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

isirotin

Cadet
Hello all!

I have a server with Freenas 8 installed and with LSI MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e controller.

FreeBSD 8.2 has mfi driver ver. 3.0 included by default, but current version from LSI is 4.23, which I suppose is better.

For FreeNAS 7 I used method "Build from scratch" to compile new kernel. But i can't find out the procedure for freenas 8, so help me please.

Here is the official manual for FreeBSD from LSI:
Code:
FreeBSD Driver Installation

Updating the driver on an existing FreeBSD system:
In this case the kernel image has to be updated the new driver module. Following are the steps to update the kernel with new driver.

1)	Make sure that kernel source has been installed on the system. If the kernel sources have been installed then there will be /usr/src/sys directory.
2)	Move to the arch/conf directory and copy the GENERIC configuration file to the name you want to give your kernel. For example:
For 32 bit:
            # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	# cp GENERIC MYKERNEL

For 64 bit:
            # cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf
	# cp GENERIC MYKERNEL

3)	Perform the following steps.
a) Comment the following lines in the file MYKERNEL by placing # at the      
     beginning of the line.
     device     cbb    #cardbus (yenta) bridge
     device     mpt   # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
     device     mfi    #LSI MegaRAID SAS
4)	To compile the kernel go to /usr/src directory and type
       make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
5)	To install the new kernel type
       make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

Note: if you get the error  “No disk space” then reboot the system and re execute the command “make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL”

6)	The new kernel will be copied to the /boot/kernel directory as /boot/kernel/kernel and the old kernel will be moved to /boot/kernel.old/kernel. Reboot the system to use the new kernel.
7)	Copy the zip (mfi.zip) file under the path /usr/src/sys/dev (Before proceeding to next step make sure that the directory with name “mfi” does not exist under path /usr/src/sys/dev/. If already a directory with name “mfi” exists, move it to some other folder. For example type, mv /usr/src/sys/dev/mfi /root/mfibackup).
8)	Go to the directory /usr/src/sys/dev and run the following command to unzip the source.
      tar –x –f mfi.zip
9)	Go to the directory /usr/src/sys/dev/mfi and run following command to compile the driver:
make clean all
10)	Run  following command to load the compiled driver:
Kldload  ./mfi.ko

Status
Not open for further replies.