Driver Installation for Chelsio t520-so-cr 10 Gbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

VCMI_TECH

Cadet
Before I am flogged for my ignorance, I confess this is my first iteration of freenas installation. Currently using 9.10.2 Stable. I have installed a Chelsio T520-SO-CR ethernet card. The bios recognizes the card, however freenas doesn't recognize it. I know you have to download the driver which was done. Copied the contents of kernel-head to /usr/src. According to the manual, I have to compile freebsd. This fails when trying to issue the command make buildworld. The error states it can't find a compiler. Now, obviously I am lost, but it seems weird that I have to compile the entirety of freebsd in order to install a driver. I could really use some guidance. I have the manual for the card, however the actual instructions haven't worked. Any help is appreciated.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Perhaps I'm not reading this correctly (your post), so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you.
The content below (copied and pasted from https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.3R/hardware.html),
on which FreeNAS is based, indicates the card's driver should be part of that version
and should require no driver to be compiled.

The cxgbe(4) driver supports 40Gb, 10Gb and 1Gb Ethernet adapters based on the T5 ASIC (ports will be named cxl):

• Chelsio T580-CR

• Chelsio T580-LP-CR

• Chelsio T580-LP-SO-CR

• Chelsio T560-CR

• Chelsio T540-CR

• Chelsio T540-LP-CR

• Chelsio T522-CR

• Chelsio T520-LL-CR

• Chelsio T520-CR

• Chelsio T520-SO

• Chelsio T520-BT

• Chelsio T504-BT

VCMI_TECH

Cadet
Perhaps I'm not reading this correctly (your post), so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you.
The content below (copied and pasted from https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.3R/hardware.html),
on which FreeNAS is based, indicates the card's driver should be part of that version

The cxgbe(4) driver supports 40Gb, 10Gb and 1Gb Ethernet adapters based on the T5 ASIC (ports will be named cxl):

• Chelsio T580-CR

• Chelsio T580-LP-CR

• Chelsio T580-LP-SOz-CR

• Chelsio T560-CR

• Chelsio T540-CR

• Chelsio T540-LP-CR

• Chelsio T522-CR

• Chelsio T520-LL-CR

• Chelsio T520-CR

• Chelsio T520-SO

• Chelsio T520-BT

• Chelsio T504-BT

• Chelsio T580-CR

• Chelsio T580-LP-CR

• Chelsio T580-LP-SO-CR

• Chelsio T560-CR

• Chelsio T540-CR

• Chelsio T540-LP-CR

• Chelsio T522-CR

• Chelsio T520-LL-CR

• Chelsio T520-CR

• Chelsio T520-SO

• Chelsio T520-BT

• Chelsio T504-BT

Thank you for your reply. I read that article before and that was why I was wondering about the driver. You see the interface does not show up in the network interfaces. Again, I am totally new to Freenas/Freebsd, but I would have thought that if the driver was already loaded with the OS, that they would show up in the interface list. Is there something else that should be done?

VCMI_TECH

Cadet
Does anyone know what other troubleshooting I can do to determine why the chelsio card is not showing up in the network interfaces?

Bigtexun

Dabbler
Do you see "Chelsio" anywhere in dmesg output? "dmesg | grep Chelsio".

If you don't see a line like:
t5nex0: <Chelsio T520-SO> mem 0xf9300000-0xf937ffff,0xf8000000-0xf8ffffff,0xf9884000-0xf9885fff irq 26 at device 0.4 on pci1

Then you need to debug the hardware, most likely. That line was from my 9.10 freenas system, but other versions should be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.