LSI SAS 9201-8i with FreeNAS 10 Corral and Flashing card

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorwmj

Cadet
Just acquired a couple of IBM XIV Gen3 Data Modules that contain 12x2TB SAS disks and a LSI SAS 9201-8i card.

This card only operates in IT mode and I've already confirmed it's in IT mode. However, I'm pretty sure it's causing the issues with me performing any actions via FreeNAS to the disks. Can't build any volumes, can't erase the disks, can't use dd command on the disks as every command returns "invalid argument" with the invalid argument being the name of the disk. I have been able to build various RAID 5 volumes via OpenMediaVault, so I'm chalking this up to a driver/card issue in FreeNAS.

Fairly sure that I need to flash a P16 (or maybe later) firmware onto the LSI card as is being described in this post. HOWEVER, I'm having issues finding the firmware for this card since it's kinda one of those special made cards for IBM. I'm assuming it'll be an issue, but am I able to flash the 9201-16i firmware on the 9201-8i? If I'm not is there a way to upgrade the firmware on the 9201-8i? Thanks in advance.

Dice

Wizard
You will need at least P20.

taylorwmj

Cadet
You will need at least P20.

Thanks much. Will I be able to use the firmware from the 16i, though, or will that totally brick the card? I know I have to update the FW, the bigger question concern is if I can use the FW intended for the 16i since I really haven't been able to get the FW for the 8i anywhere due to it being built/branded nearly exclusively for the XIV system.

Dice

Wizard
I would not personally flash a 8i card with firmware intended for a 16i.

Putting the fatality hat on, without flashing you will not play with FreeNAS.
If you do nothing, ...no play
If the flash fails.. no play
If the flash works out ....playtime!

nitro996

Cadet
Thanks much. Will I be able to use the firmware from the 16i, though, or will that totally brick the card? I know I have to update the FW, the bigger question concern is if I can use the FW intended for the 16i since I really haven't been able to get the FW for the 8i anywhere due to it being built/branded nearly exclusively for the XIV system.
@taylorwmj how did you go with this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.