FreeNAS 11.1 and MEGARAID 9460-16i

realcomp2018

Cadet
Hi! I have a problem with LSI 9460-16i controller. The freenas does not recognized it. The mrsas driver present in the kernel, but there is no volume that I have created in the controller. What I can do?
Thanks)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You shouldn't be using hardware RAID anyway. mrsas should present you with direct-attach devices which are suitable for use with ZFS.

And what devices are connected to the controller, anyway? SATA, SAS or NVMe?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So why do you need an SAS 94xx card? An SAS 93xx would've been much cheaper, I imagine.

oit1976

Cadet
You shouldn't be using hardware RAID anyway.
This is the wish of my customer and I cannot change it)
Maybe anyone here has an experience with the FreeNAS with hardware RAID controller? Which models are good for it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why are you hijacking this thread? As I said above, you should not use hardware RAID. There is no discussion to be had on that topic.

As for HBAs, recommended models are listed in the Hardware Recommendations Guide. Look for LSI SAS2008, SAS2308 and SAS3008-based controllers.

guemi

Dabbler
Worth adding, because I've seen a lot of people regarding the MegaRAID 9xxx series. And I had visited this particular thread a lot.

Much like other people, we unfortunately bought out raidcard before deciding on FreeNAS and checking HW requirements, and a 1200 USD card isn't fun to throw out so we wanted to try as much as we could before giving up and:

We had similar issues getting MegarRAID 9460 to work (Lenovo 930-24i to be exact) despite putting it in "JBOD MODE".

What we had to do was not only put the raidcard in JBOD, but also go on every individual drive and configure it from "disk" to "JBOD" - otherwise it will still go through the raidcard server.

I hope it helps someone. :smile:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Worth adding, because I've seen a lot of people regarding the MegaRAID 9xxx series. And I had visited this particular thread a lot.

Much like other people, we unfortunately bought out raidcard before deciding on FreeNAS and checking HW requirements, and a 1200 USD card isn't fun to throw out so we wanted to try as much as we could before giving up and:

We had similar issues getting MegarRAID 9460 to work (Lenovo 930-24i to be exact) despite putting it in "JBOD MODE".

What we had to do was not only put the raidcard in JBOD, but also go on every individual drive and configure it from "disk" to "JBOD" - otherwise it will still go through the raidcard server.

I hope it helps someone. :)

No, do not do this. It still has you running through the MFI driver, I'm pretty sure. You need MPR or MPS.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...s-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.81931/