Not open for further replies.

Doug183

Dabbler
Current setup:
Supermicro X9SCM
Xenon E3 2nd gen.
32 Gig ECC memory
Crossflashed LSI 9212 4i4e to IT mode
3x SE30611 Rackable Jbods with 16x drives slots. Only 10 slots used per Jbod. (heavily customized - backplanes replaced with direct connect cables, PSU replaced with ATX 760, and 120mm fans in front and back in push-pull config.) Nice and quiet.
***(3 x Zpools each set up in 2 x 5 drive RaidZ1 for a 10 drive Zpool. 2x Zpools are full and 1x Zpool is open)
ONLY 3 Client computers and at worst only 2 accessing the server at once -
2 clients are connected directly SFP+ to 2 port Myricom 10 Gig-e
3 clients (2 are the same as above) connected to a 1 gig-e switch to the server

Server Usage: 1 clients at most playing a video file in real time from the full Zpools, while the other renders (or copies to the empty zpool). All drives 4TB HGST coolspin SATA. (there might be a few 7200 RPMs in there.) Will want to replace with 8TB drives in the future or add another Jbod. The whole thing is a video archive, and the server is hardly turned on, but when it is, it can run for a few days. Current setup is very stable but I think it heats up and all of sudden I get CAM SCSI errors with drives dropping off and coming back. No data is lost. After much trouble shooting I believe its the Port expanders overheating or al the external cabling every so slightly becoming less conductive. Just time to rebuild.

I am going to transfer the MB, FreeNAS and drives to the new build. The real issue is making sure I have the correct HBA/Expanders in there.

New Build:

Looks like I am going to build a 30 drive setup from 45 drives as I want the server to be quiet and as cool as possible without running the air con all the time.

1) Is the 92101-16i fully ZFS compatible - meaning can be be flashed to IT mode? (or is there some other solution I don't know about). A lot of people seem to be be using it, so I think it works, but I don't see a clear post that says this card is great with FreeNAS. I want to make sure as the data I have is an archive I don't want to half guess this move.

2) Is there a problem running 2 x LSI SAS 9201-16i with FreeNAS 9.3?

3) All my drives are now Coolspin HGST SATA drives. Does SATA pose any issues?

Other build Option:
Using the same 30 drive setup from 45 drives are there any problems with using M1015 and Intel 36 port expander? From my other post, you all have said that is more or less fine, but here I added more details of what I am up to, so just wanted to make sure there was nothing I was missing.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1) Is the 92101-16i fully ZFS compatible - meaning can be be flashed to IT mode? (or is there some other solution I don't know about). A lot of people seem to be be using it, so I think it works, but I don't see a clear post that says this card is great with FreeNAS. I want to make sure as the data I have is an archive I don't want to half guess this move.
The LSI SAS 9201 only supports IT mode, so no problem there. Flash P16 and everything will be fine.

2) Is there a problem running 2 x LSI SAS 9201-16i with FreeNAS 9.3?
No, not really. I'd just recommend not flashing the BIOS extension ROM when flashing P16 firmware - some weird interactions can happen that keep the system from booting (at least on some SAS 2008 and 2308-based cards).

Does SATA pose any issues?
No. The drives themselves might not be very appropriate (don't know the model), but the interface is not an issue.

Slu

Dabbler
Ericloewe,

The LSI SAS 9201 doesn't require flashing or it does? I'm a bit confused because you said it ONLY supports IT mode and then you say flash it? Can I just plug it in and be good to go?

I'd really like to know cause I made a post recently inquiring about the M1015 cards. I have a server with a backplane that has 3 SFF-8087 ports for 12 drives(1 port for 4 drives). However, given that setup, I would require 2 M1015 cards since one card only supports 2 connections.

Now this 9201...it has 4 ports...meaning I would only need to purchase one card AND if it doesnt need to be flashed to work with FreeNAS, that would be a huge blessing. Please let me know!

Thank you in advance!

Slu

Dabbler
My Backplane for reference...

Attachments

• Backplane.jpg
    Backplane.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 869

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The LSI SAS 9201 doesn't require flashing or it does? I'm a bit confused because you said it ONLY supports IT mode and then you say flash it?
You're confusing different things.

Cards like the M1015 need to be crossflashed to LSI SAS 9211 IT mode, since their default firmware doesn't support IT mode. This is a somewhat complex procedure.

However, all LSI SAS2 controllers have upgradeable firmware. The firmware version has to be matched to FreeNAS' driver version, which is P16. You will always be expected to perform this step and it's a simple procedure.

Slu

Dabbler
Ahhhh, I see. Thank you very much for the clarification!!

Any recommendations for a good LSI SAS card that it is a little cheaper then the SAS 9201? I only need to support 12 drives.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ahhhh, I see. Thank you very much for the clarification!!

Any recommendations for a good LSI SAS card that it is a little cheaper then the SAS 9201? I only need to support 12 drives.

The only cheaper ones are 8 port cards.

Slu

Dabbler
Yea like the LSI 9211-8i I see talked about here on the forums. Okay, thank you. I'm gonna see which is cheaper, an IBM m1015 or the LSI card on ebay.

But it looks like Ill have to use one of these cards for 8 drives and then just plug 4 drives directly to the motherboard. Which shouldn't be a problem I'm assuming...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yea like the LSI 9211-8i I see talked about here on the forums. Okay, thank you. I'm gonna see which is cheaper, an IBM m1015 or the LSI card on ebay.

But it looks like Ill have to use one of these cards for 8 drives and then just plug 4 drives directly to the motherboard. Which shouldn't be a problem I'm assuming...
Not a problem, if you're using SATA drives. Just get a reverse-breakout cable (4x SATA to SFF-8087).

Slu

Dabbler
The reverse breakout cable would be for the drives being connected directly to the motherboard correct? Because if you take a look at my backplane below, I can only connect SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 on the whichever card I end up getting.

Thank you so much for your advise Eric...truly appreciated!

Attachments

• Backplane.jpg
    Backplane.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 707

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The reverse breakout cable would be for the drives being connected directly to the motherboard correct?
Right.

Reactions: Slu

Z300M

Guru

At the time I was thinking of getting an SAS card, I saw people claiming that some of the alleged LSI cards were in fact Chinese knockoffs and perhaps even made with components that had failed quality control. I therefore bought an IBM-branded card as being less likely to be a fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.