init callbacks failed

Mrtuck1

Cadet
Hello,

I have installed truenas core vs12.0 and vs13.0 and I can not get the web user interface to give me an IP address.

Computer specs
Ram: 8 gigs
CPU: AMD FX8350 FX 8350
HD: 1tb
Video card: xfx r7700 series
internet: tmobile home internet.

I have tried enabled DHCP on my Nighthawk rax48 router

any suggestion would be great.

Thanks!

20220518_092020.jpg

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Are you connected via a wired interface to the router? Or are you trying to use a wireless NIC? TrueNAS's support for wireless NICs isn't great.

Samuel Tai

Have you tried a different cable? Do you have link lights on both ends?

Mrtuck1

Cadet
Have you tried a different cable? Do you have link lights on both ends?
I have tried a couple different cables. I put Ubuntu Desktop on a USB drive and booted into it. The web browser worked great. So no problems with the connection.

Samuel Tai

Please describe your motherboard.

Samuel Tai

As I suspected, a crappy Realtek NIC. The driver included for Realtek NICs in TrueNAS (inherited from upstream FreeBSD) is known for behavior like this. The standard work-around is to use an Intel PCI-E NIC.

mrpasc

Dabbler
This comes with Realtek RTL 8111F onboard LAN.
Realtek NICs are known to not work properly with FreeBSD due to their bad driver and chipset design.
As you were able to boot into Ubuntu: You may have more luck with SCALE which is based on Debian.

Samuel Tai

Mrtuck1

Cadet
This comes with Realtek RTL 8111F onboard LAN.
Realtek NICs are known to not work properly with FreeBSD due to their bad driver and chipset design.
As you were able to boot into Ubuntu: You may have more luck with SCALE which is based on Debian.
I was able to get an IP address with installing truenas scale. Thank you! now I need to purchase a 2nd hard drive to get this to work properly with storage.

mrpasc

Dabbler
I would recommend to follow Samuel's recommendation to buy a decent Intel based NIC adapter as well. Even if your Realtek NIC seems to work there can be really weird quirks with that Chip.