Increasing Capacity

JaMu

Dabbler
Hi all,

I apologize if this has previously been answered but I haven't been able to find the answer. I need to increase the capacity of my FreeNAS. I am currently running a 6 disk RAIDZ2 pool and will be adding 2 more drives to make it a 8 disk RAIDZ2. I know that this cannot be done without destroying the current pool and creating a new 8 disk RAIDZ2 pool. I have a backup of all the data in preparation for this task.

My question is, once I have created the new pool, can I reuse my existing datasets and associated shares, and will my existing permissions be maintained? I am trying to avoid having to reconfigure all of the varying permissions I have setup on the shares and sub folders after I migrate the data back to the FreeNAS. Most of the permissions that I have configured have been applied to the folders through Windows.

I would appreciate any help or guidance that anyone can offer.

Thanks.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
No, creating a new pool means destroying the old pool. What would work better for you is to replace each drive in your 6-disk RAIDZ2 pool with a larger one, and resilver after each replacement. Once all 6 disks are replaced, your pool will expand to accommodate the larger disks.

JaMu

Dabbler
@Samuel Tai Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, replacing the existing disks with larger ones is not an option for me at this time so I will need to complete whatever steps are necessary to destroy and rebuild the pool. Is my only option to through the FreeNAS interface and note down the current configuration for my pool, datasets and shares, as well as capturing the permissions I have configured in Windows, and then manually recreating those once the new pool is created?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is my only option to through the FreeNAS interface and note down the current configuration for my pool, datasets and shares, as well as capturing the permissions I have configured in Windows, and then manually recreating those once the new pool is created?
Well, no. You have another option.

Since changes to pool geometry are permanent for the pool and mostly not related to config, you can probably get away with saving the config, destroying the pool, creating a new pool (with exactly the same name), export the new pool, then re-import the config and maybe you will need to import the pool again in the GUI (maybe it will just be picked up).

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@sretalla, I thought about that, but I don't think the config saves the dataset structure. I think it assumes the pool keeps that safe, since that's usually the case with a reinstall.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't think the config saves the dataset structure
Indeed it doesn't, that's in the pool too, but I didn't mention that you would clearly need to put your files back after rebuilding the pool... so add the step to zfs send | recv the data off to another location and then back again recursively to avoid losing your data and its structure.

JaMu

Dabbler
Thank you both for your input. I'm not sure if it make a difference to the process that you are suggesting, however, I think it is worth mentioning, the backup copy of the data that I have, and will be using to restore the data to the FreeNAS once I rebuild the pool, is not stored on a second FreeNAS, (it's on a Windows Storage Space). Just in case this has any impact on how the dataset information is stored on the pool.

So the process as I understand it would be;
  1. Save a backup copy of the config from the FreeNAS GUI
  2. Destroy the pool
  3. Create a new pool with the additional drives and name it the same as the previous pool
  4. Copy the data from my backup to the FreeNAS, (I was planning on using RoboCopy). However, how will I copy the data there as the shares are contained in the datasets which have not been recreated at this point?
  5. Export the new pool, (I'm not quite sure why)
  6. Restore the FreeNAS config from the backup file saved in step 1
  7. Import the pool, (if this did not happen during step 6)
I would appreciate any further input you can provide. Has anyone previously gone through a similar process? How did you handle it?

Thanks.

sretalla