Moving pool to new disks?

Octopuss

Patron
I have a basic setup with three disks. I have recently bought SAS disks for a good price and would like to make a switch to a slightly faster storage.
BUT: Is it possible to somehow move the existing pool to the new disks without having to recreate everything from scratch? It's been two years since I set this server up and I don't remember the details. Configuring the shares, permissions etc. again would be a horrible pain in the arse.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
  • What's the current status of your pool (output of zpool status)?
  • How many new disks have you bought?
  • Are the new disks at least as large as the old ones?
  • Can you connect the old and the new disks at the same time?

Octopuss

Patron
1642597194694.png

The block size error is due to the boot pool, but that's how it is with virtualized environment.

Three new disks. It really is just about replacing the disks with something faster, otherwise it's identical (plus SATA vs SAS).

I am still in the process of testing things out; I've run into several problems over the past few days, (see my other threads for details) but the new disks are visible. I can't create any pools on them yet due to some new problems I'm trying to figure out, but the disks themselves are physically ok (tested).
I'm just asking ahead so I know what to expect.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
In that case you connect all disks, then just replace old with new ony by one. In the UI. Replace, wait for the resilver to finish, next disk.

Octopuss

Patron
Damn, that would take days, wouldn't it?
I initially got this idea, but ditched it for the above reason.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Why would it take days to replace and resilver three disks?

Octopuss

Patron
Because last time I had a faulty disk in the pool that had to be replaced, this process took a LONG time. Not sure exactly, but it could have been something like half a day at least. Times three... that's a long time.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I would not consider three times half a day long for such an operation. First disk in the morning, second in the evening running overnight, third next morning. All the while the NAS will be available, and the data safe. You specifically asked for a way that would keep all your shares and settings intact.

Octopuss

Patron
I guess you're right.