Moving to new boot device

m0j0

Cadet
I'm running v12 via mirrored USB boot. This was due to the system it was originally running on being limited in space and number of sata ports. I've since moved this to new hardware by simply moving disks and USB drives and it all just worked fine. But, as is the case with many others, I'm constantly having issues with USB drives failing so it's time to move to SSD.
After doing a lot of reading, it seemed the easiest option was to remove one of the USBs and install an SSD, resilver the boot pool and then pull the other USB and put in the second SSD and resilver again. However, when doing the first resilver, I kept getting a bunch "CAM status: CCB request completed with an error" messages. So, I shut it down and put in the other USB instead and tried again but got the same errors. I've got it back to the way it was with mirrored USBs and have resolved to doing a fresh install on the SSDs and restore the config.
However, this is where I'm a bit unclear. Do I build with the data pool disks installed in the system and import the data pool and then restore the configuration, install with the data pool disks removed and then connect the disks and import the data pool, or install with the data pool disks removed and restore the configuration and then connect the disks and import the data pool? I presume the third option is the least likely but just thought I'd add it for completeness.

Probably a very basic question, but I've been unable to find a definitive answer (probably just not looking in the right spot) and I'd prefer not to be guessing because I want to do it right the first time.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only reason to install with the data disks disconnected would be if you're concerned that you'll inadvertently pick one of them as the installation target. The method I'd use is:
  • Leave everything connected--data disks, boot device, installer
  • Boot from installer and install to new boot device
  • Boot from boot device, upload config.
Uploading the config will take care of importing the data pool.

m0j0

Cadet
Sweet. Thanks for the speedy reply. Doubt I'll pick the wrong disk to install to so should be smooth.