GUI Command to create new pool?

0nighthawk0

Dabbler
Hi all,

Got a new box with new disks, so no old data on it, blank slate as it were.
Going to be a pool containing two vdevs initially of mirrored drives, so 4 drives total.

Just looking for whatever command(s) the GUI sends through when you create a new ZFS Pool.

I primarily want to specify the "ashift" parameter and would do this via the CLI, but don't want to miss any special flags/identifiers etc that truenas may want to send/pass.

Also previously I've had my last box set up using labels (admittedly my last pool started off life pre v15 of zfs...) and a lot of people appear to be doing it via actual disk serials and fixed device id's. Its too long ago to remember why I originally did it via GPT labels , maybe because of GELI? - anyway i'm not using GELI for this server - but the method via the GPT labels was rock solid in terms of its use over 10 years. So if someone could give me some advice on the pro's/cons and best practice in 2020 around this that would be great.

I should mention i'm not importing or using my old pool, I will transfer some of the data over but this is me setting up a new build from scratch.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you grok Python, you can see the actual code the GUI uses to process pool commands in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py, with the data dictionary starting at line 496, and the create subroutine at line 553.