If you've ordered HDDs from Amazon ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloa

Wizard
Ordered some one year ago and:

upload_2018-4-23_13-33-14.png

Checked the order and was available to return, so asked for a replacement that will be here in two days.

Just in case you run into something like that it might be easier than go to WD (mine were WD Red).

kdragon75

Wizard
Drives fail. That just as easily could have been a new WD red. But yeah... ALOT of drives being sold as new are datacenter refurbs with years of runtime (but still low load counts and power cycle counts)

melloa

Wizard
Drives fail.

Yes, they do, I had several ST-238R failing on me ;)

My WD Red had 2400 hours without presenting any errors. The point is that Amazon replaced without any questions.

kdragon75

Wizard
33MB!? They don't make them like they used to! Granted the tolerances and aerial densities were nothing like they are today.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've got to tell you, my WD Reds have lots of hours on them, over 5 years of age, three of the six are still in a machine running strong. While infant mortality does happen, if you get past that stage then you can speculate that your drive will likely run well beyond the warranty period, assuming you aren't killing them with heat.

Drives fail.
Yes they do and when you least want it to happen.

melloa

Wizard
Yes they do and when you least want it to happen.

That's why we have ZFS ... well ... I have two boxes in mirror, one raidz3, the other raidz2. Thrust no one or # one? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.