I would like to FreeNAS use the second partition of my hard disk (NTFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtyku

Cadet
Hello
I installed FreeNAS on VirtualBox on Windows 7
I would like to FreeNAS use the second partition of my hard disk (NTFS).
I care for this data to be shared for windows 7 and free us.
Free us is installed on of virtual partition.
Is it possible?
If so, please help, I'm a beginner.
Regards

warri

Guru
No, this is not possible and not a good idea to start with.

I suggest you read the threads about virtualization in the "FreeNAS 4 N00bs" section and the FreeNAS manual.

wtyku

Cadet
So maybe you can create a virtual disk that will be visible at a time for FreeNAS (in virtualbox) and Windows 7?
so that both systems have access to this drive?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Maybe you should take the advice of warri and read the manual and the stickies on virtualization before asking more questions. You'll see that your whole idea is just ill conceived.

wtyku

Cadet
I think it is well thought out, because I want this stuff so that I could use to work as a media cener with windows 7 and as a NAS server

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, as the top poster in this forum I'm flat out telling you YOUR IDEA IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.

There, it's been said. Feel free to keep doing what you are doing. But don't be surprised if your data disappears without warning someday, and don't expect one of us to be able to recover your data later.

wtyku

Cadet
I do not know English well so please bear with us.
Here we ask for a hint how to do it best?

I want to put in a home appliance that will do two tasks.
I got the idea that it would also make it device since the employed full time were also able to play multimedia TV.
Active I want to do on the Mini-ITX i3 8gb ram, etc. .. WD RED.
I have a license for Win7 Pro.
I would also like to be the iSCSI service
Drive will be one, I would like to FreeNAS had access to the data windows 7 and vice versa

And now the question:
Did someone already came up with the idea and modified Linux into something like this?
Is it possible to convert win7 Pro on us, but so that you can normally use it as a computer in order to play movies / music / photo?
Does the resort, you can fire up Virtual maszne in win7 free software such letter and it will work as it should?

warri

Guru
If you want to use one computer as a NAS and media center, you either need to virtualize FreeNAS (very hard to get right!) or use another product. I personally don't know any Linux version which satisfies your requirement, but I imagine that one might exist.

Alternatively you can just keep using Windows 7 and create some standard network shares from there.

Albert Yang

Dabbler
How about PCBSD? It's a PC version of FreeBSD. Support ZFS as FreeNAS. And it has better multimedia support.

Richman

Patron
When are we ever goIng to design the perfect system that does EVERYTHING?

Status
Not open for further replies.