I feel really dumb

Heracles

Wizard
The hardware may be defective... The monitor, the graphical adapter, the cable, ...

You need to test your hardware from other known to be working pieces.

ThreeDee

Guru
if you have another DDR3L SODIMM module you could use to test with .. could be bad memory .. or bad PSU ..etc .. as stated by Heracles above

Netdewt

Explorer
It's a brand new stick of Crucial. I just can't imagine. But I'll dig up another stick. Monitor and cable are good.

c77dk

Patron
It's a brand new stick of Crucial. I just can't imagine. But I'll dig up another stick. Monitor and cable are good.
Some Supermicro boards can be _really_ picky - had a similar issue with a blade using DDR2 RAM (had to get more into the system after DDR3 had been the norm for a while), and my supplier got some ram with the right timings and all - the blade just wouldn't start at all, until we found some from the HCL.

Netdewt

Explorer
Some Supermicro boards can be _really_ picky - had a similar issue with a blade using DDR2 RAM (had to get more into the system after DDR3 had been the norm for a while), and my supplier got some ram with the right timings and all - the blade just wouldn't start at all, until we found some from the HCL.
I'm worried that this is the case, but there is NO availability on their "approved" RAM, so I just picked something generally trustworthy.

c77dk

Patron

Netdewt

Explorer
Unfortunately not. I didn't know they had that tool.

The one I got is CT8G3S186DM.

Netdewt

Explorer
OK, so based on the Crucial website, this one should be correct?

ThreeDee

Guru
keyword .. "should" work ..

Is your current stick DDR3L? ..meaning .. it can run at 1.35v instead of 1.5v?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If a mainboard does not come up with a picture on the monitor at all, IMHO the most important thing is to have a speaker connected to the corresponding pins. The number of beeps tells you what is wrong. The details are in the mainboard manual.

Netdewt

Explorer
If a mainboard does not come up with a picture on the monitor at all, IMHO the most important thing is to have a speaker connected to the corresponding pins. The number of beeps tells you what is wrong. The details are in the mainboard manual.

Thanks, I ordered a speaker. The only messages shown in the Manual are RAM problems basically.

Netdewt

Explorer
Supermicro says it's the RAM. They want me to find one of these 2 part numbers. I've never heard of RAM selection being picky...

MEM-DR380L-IL02-SO18
MEM-DR380L-IL03-SO18

I found these from Nemix, then he said that's no good. Has to be from Innodisk, which I can't find anywhere.

Last edited:

c77dk

Patron
If you can, then buy direct from Crucial - according to the page they guarantee it will work.

Netdewt

Explorer
They are out of stock. I'm sick of waiting, so I'll pick up Crucial from Micro Center nearby.

Last edited:

Netdewt

Explorer
New RAM works!

Now to figure out the actual install. So far it just boots to the installer, then restarts, and again, in a cycle.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Look for a "watchdog" in the BIOS settings, then disable it.

Netdewt

Explorer
I found that, it was disabled. I tried changing another setting about restarting after power loss. Now I can't get it to go to the install screen at all. I'll try again tonight.

I suppose it's possible that this motherboard is not compatible with TrueNAS, considering all the other issues I've had so far. I might just run Linux something and use the onboard RAID 10 controller.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I found that, it was disabled.
Some Supermicro systems have an additional jumper on the MB for that if I remember correctly ...