Hyper-V Random Network Dropouts

dashtesla

Explorer
So I have my current TrueNAS setup running on hyper-v, though i'm quite aware it's not recommended and quite frowned upon specially in this community it's all about what I have available if i could i would have racks and racks of bare metal so with that out the way..

The VM works perfectly I have the drives on passthrough so the vm does get direct access to the hard drives and ssd for cache everything is fine except for the network took me a while to figure out but whenever i was watching videos i would get random pauses for a few seconds and even macos would eject the share mapping so the video would stop playing (vlc) then i would have to go to connect to server remap and find the folder/file double click and then queue from where it was playing before if i wasn't fast enough to check where it was i would spend about 2-3min to resume playing the video sometimes having to close everything and restart the mac because it just wouldn't remap the smb again (probably some mac related issues with dropouts).

226 is the hypervisor, 1 is the gateway 237 is the truenas vm as you can see from the picture the problem is specifically within the truenas vm hypervisor works fine i also tried an intel 10G SFP+ card i'm currently using the onboard 1G intel 219 and the problem was exactly the same so not a hardware problem and the way i see might be related to freebsd drivers/compatibility with the hyper-v network adaptor but i could be wrong so that's the whole point of this thread, trying to figure out if there's anything i can do/change to make the network run stable.

Also tried truenas scale but the experience with ACLs and permissions were overly complicated and awful in my opinion compared to truenas core besides it's beta not for production so as it's not ready so linux will be out for now.

Hypervisor:
Windows Server 2019 Datacenter
AMD Ryzen 3600 @4ghz LC
32GB Unregistered ECC 2666mhz
Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi
2X WD Black 2TB SN750 AMD RAID1
5X 12TB WD Red
4X 2TB SAS
1X 6TB Seagate Enterprise SATA
HP LTO 6 Tape Drive
Radeon Pro Duo 32GB Polaris
Quadro P620 2GB
HP P420 SAS HW RAID
Dell H310 SAS HBA (IT Mode)
1x Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (cache for truenas)
Intel X520 10G SFP+

VM:
Hyper-V Generation 1
6x Cores
8GB RAM
5X 12TB WD Red (passthrough/SCSI)
1x Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (passthrough/SCSI)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 13.28.35.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 13.28.35.png
    855.2 KB · Views: 116

jgreco

Resident Grinch
hyper-v, though i'm quite aware it's not recommended and quite frowned upon specially in this community it's all about what I have available if i could i would have racks and racks of bare metal so with that out the way..

We don't frown upon it. We'd LIKE it to work. The sad fact is that every time I see someone showing up here with the phrase "Hyper-V" it is discussing some misadventure.

There is no magic switch, no hidden setting, no big secret conspiracy to prevent TrueNAS from working on Hyper-V. It's just known not to work well. It might be possible to make it work better, but to date, none of Hyper-V's victims have figured out to make it better. I'm happy to tell you what I know, as the person who's probably provided the most virtualization support of anyone on these forums. I haven't seen examples of it working swimmingly well, or even acceptably. If you find out how to make it work well, then, by all means, tag me in a post, because I am interested in knowing what you did.

dashtesla

Explorer
We don't frown upon it. We'd LIKE it to work. The sad fact is that every time I see someone showing up here with the phrase "Hyper-V" it is discussing some misadventure.

There is no magic switch, no hidden setting, no big secret conspiracy to prevent TrueNAS from working on Hyper-V. It's just known not to work well. It might be possible to make it work better, but to date, none of Hyper-V's victims have figured out to make it better. I'm happy to tell you what I know, as the person who's probably provided the most virtualization support of anyone on these forums. I haven't seen examples of it working swimmingly well, or even acceptably. If you find out how to make it work well, then, by all means, tag me in a post, because I am interested in knowing what you did.
Thanks for the reply.

What bothers me is what I used to have a different system back when it was FreeNAS and past a certain version it stopped working as well as it did, back then i didn't do anything special besides what i've done here this is why I believe it's probably a freebsd driver issue and not a truenas/freenas specific problem but i would have to setup a freebsd vm and setup shares etc run long-term to prove the theory.

Right now my options are to run truenas in this manner or use microsoft storage spaces/raid5 both options are terrible, proxmox also can't do what i need at hypervisor because i need direct gpu access in windows and LTFS with my tape drive to manage data backups with windows explorer.

Right now the only problem is the network I wish hyper-v had more options to passthrough network/usb/pcie devices, I feel like the best option is to wait for truenas scale to be released properly and switch when the time comes hopefully i can take my encrypted ZFS pool to it.