TrueNAS 12 on win10pro hyper-v for storage management

mhzpower

Cadet
I love the advanced features of zfs. So I am looking at running TrueNAS 12 as a hyper-v to create local network SMB shares

The computer:
I5-10600, 16gb, 1tb HD with 256gb m.2

The m.2 has Win10pro with the TrueNAS VM.

I was thinking about two setups:
1. Multiple vhd disks on a ntfs drive.
1. Pass through the drive direct to a pool

I know this is not ideal, but I like the idea of one device, no wiring.

Does the group have any suggestions or am I totally crazy and should look at another solution?

jenksdrummer

Patron
If you're saying that you want to run TrueNAS as a VM under Hyper-V with Windows 10 Pro has the hypervisor OS?

A) There's a lot of documentation the forum as to the specifics; but mainly it doesn't handle it well as a VM under any hypervisor. For testing? Sure, but if you care about your data, then no.
B) You're running ZFS on virtual disks (files) that reside on NTFS; NTFS is still the weak link.
C) Windows updates will reboot that host and the VM; and sometimes not cleanly for the VM or neglect to start it back up again.
D) Any sort of pass-thru setup will still equate to a virtualized layer; plus you have a single 1TB HDD, so while ZFS would give you the checksums overall there's not a whole lot of benefit going on there.
E) 16GB of RAM for Windows is about right...for Windows; but then to split off that RAM for a TrueNAS, the base ram spec I think is half your system RAM.

mhzpower

Cadet
Thank you for the feedback. I thought having TrueNAS running in the background might help prevent data corruption or bad sectors.

I also thought I could sync with cloud services to keep everything available anywhere.

I’ll keep playing and looking for something.