BUILD HPE Microserver Gen10 is back

blanchet

Guru
After a disappointing HPE Microserver Gen 10, HPE has finally released a more appealing microserver for FreeNAS users.

In particular, this new microserver has:
  • an Intel Xeon E-2224 or Pentium G5420 processor
  • Up to 32 GB ECC (
  • 4 x NICs (Embedded Intel i350 AM41Gb 4-port network controller)
  • iLO 5
However, unlike HPE Microserver Gen8, Gen10 Plus requires an additional board to have a dedicated iLO port.

Comparison between the Gen10 and Gen10+

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
Very interesting, but I hate to think of how HPE will price this. As a home user, the microserver gen8 remains my choice. Such a pity they didn't stick to the newer intel hardware + ilo for the original gen10. At least this one has ilo, but drive support looks to be strickly 4 HDD or 4 SSD.

Ooh. You've got my interest. I've been a huge fan of the HP microserver series. It's my preferred choice for compact FreeNAS appliances, My interest peaked with the Gen8 (with the built-in ILO) and faltered with the Gen10 (fixed CPU). The Gen10+ will be a breath of fresh air. Double the RAM of earlier models is a plus. The 4-port NIC seems a little curious though. Not sure how I'd use this in a home or small business setting or how FreeNAS might take advantage of it? Personally, I would have preferred built-in ILO instead. Anyway, looking forward to the Gen10+ landing on the shores Downunder.

At least this one has ilo, but drive support looks to be strickly 4 HDD or 4 SSD
With 14TB WD Reds on the market (expensive I know, but dreaming in cheap), practical usable storage capacity for a single pool at 80% capacity is around 31TB (RAID-Z1) or 21TB (RAID-Z2). Still pretty reasonable storage for a compact system.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Anyone got experience with these adaptor cards that take an M.2 SSD and can be plugged in a regular PCIe slot? Because with sone reliable way to add SSD storage in addition to 4 spinning disks this would be an awesome home server.

My Supermicro takes 4 HDD, 2 2.5" SSD plus an M.2 but that comes at a hefty price tag.

Kind regards
Patrick

Anyone got experience with these adaptor cards that take an M.2 SSD and can be plugged in a regular PCIe slot? Because with sone reliable way to add SSD storage in addition to 4 spinning disks this would be an awesome home server.
Now that would be really exciting if it could be made to work.

klatoszy

Dabbler
Anyone got experience with these adaptor cards that take an M.2 SSD and can be plugged in a regular PCIe slot?
I'm using SilverStone ECM25 with my Supermicro X10SLH-F and it works perfectly fine. Right now you can buy also ECM26 which supports 22110 M.2 SSD.
Further I was able to modify BIOS in order to support NVME boot. This also works perfectly fine.
Br,
Krzysztof

I'm using SilverStone ECM25 with my Supermicro X10SLH-F and it works perfectly fine. Right now you can buy also ECM26 which supports 22110 M.2 SSD.
Further I was able to modify BIOS in order to support NVME boot. This also works perfectly fine.
Br,
Krzysztof
I'm definitely excited now!

Exhorder

Explorer
Does the iLO 5 basic support remote console and remote media mounting? So that I can install the OS remotely. Or does it only support changing BIOS settings and I need the advanced license for remote console?

Exhorder

Explorer

xames

Patron
I have installed this microserver gen10 with 24gb ecc ram, and 4 disks mixt ssd and hhd, but i have problems of themperature, i see some post about upgrading bios but i don't know how to do it without windows, its full TrueNas machine, i see that cpu goes from 45 to 70, no tweak on bios for fans or nothing.

floyd71

Dabbler
Does the iLO 5 basic support remote console and remote media mounting? So that I can install the OS remotely. Or does it only support changing BIOS settings and I need the advanced license for remote console?
I am HPE Proliant Microserver Gen10 Plus owner, and I have this iLO enablement kit card.
Functionality is quite good. I was able to install Operating system by mounting it on virtual CD, or to replace iLO firmware or BIOS.
As well, you can power off / on the server, see many options. It seems much better than iLO 4 for me which I have in my Gen8 Microserver.

floyd71

Dabbler
I have installed this microserver gen10 with 24gb ecc ram, and 4 disks mixt ssd and hhd, but i have problems of themperature, i see some post about upgrading bios but i don't know how to do it without windows, its full TrueNas machine, i see that cpu goes from 45 to 70, no tweak on bios for fans or nothing.

I have similar problem - not with CPU, but with something else on motherboard which temperature goes to (07-BMC: 74C, and highest allowed temperature is 105C (Caution) for this component, it means that component is always under temperature load of about 70%, much more than any other component.
HPE-ProLiant-MicroServer-Gen10-Plus-iLO-5-Thermal-3D.jpg

Last edited:

floyd71

Dabbler
I have other problem with TrueNAS which is not possible to put HDD in to spin dows. Even I tried to allow these options the disks are runing on every few minutes, then stop, and again start spinning... so i guess it is better to leave them rotating than to have hundreds of start / stop cycles. In mean time, temperature monitoring does not shows any value about the disks. (Seagate IronWolf 6TB HDDs).

Does anyone have solution for it (apart to leave disks running all time)?

xames

Patron
I have similar problem - not with CPU, but with something else on motherboard which temperature goes to (07-BMC: 74C, and highest allowed temperature is 105C (Caution) for this component, it means that component is always under temperature load of about 70%, much more than any other component.
HPE-ProLiant-MicroServer-Gen10-Plus-iLO-5-Thermal-3D.jpg

And how you resolve? you change the motherboard?¿

floyd71

Dabbler
And how you resolve? you change the motherboard?¿
It is unresolved.

I am not sure if such temperature is considered as normal behavior.
Does anyone else have any idea what is normal operating temperature of this sensor 07-BMC?

xames

Patron
I have the latest bios but my system restart continiously due to thermal problem... Bit i dont know how to resolve

floyd71

Dabbler
I have the latest bios but my system restart continiously due to thermal problem... Bit i dont know how to resolve
Which device create temperature problem? Have you seen it in iLO temperature graph?

floyd71

Dabbler
I don't know how to do it... i have iLO?
at the beginning try to identify if there is any sensor which temperature is high of close to caution level (you have to login to iLO and see this).
which memory you are using? I am asking because I have also one older HP server (Gen8) and I tried to upgrade memory. When inserted upgrade (replaced original 2 Gb and put 2 x 8Gb) after a quite long time my sistem start to boot, and everything looked OK, but I relize that iLO is reset, that temperature sensors are not available anymore... and from operating system console (nas4free) i saw that CPU temperature is going to be so big (instead of such 40C it becomes arround 65C and caution level for this server is 70C).

So, this is why I am asking which memory you are using.