Hp Proliant microserver G8 Installation over partitioned ssd

danny36

Explorer
Hi,
I read on this forum that it's possible to boot over ODD on this micro server by changing some settings on bios.
It's possible to install truenas scale on a partition of 256GB SSD attached to the internal odd sata port? so I can use the rest of space of SSD.

Arwen

MVP
I don't have the details of how to turn the Optical Disk Drive port to a regular HDD / SSD port.

Yes, you can use a boot drive partitioned, with space for application. However, it is not a supported function;
What it comes down to, if you have to ask how, you likely can't support such a configuration reliably. Meaning when the boot drive or other part has a failure, you have 2 failures to deal with. Improperly dealing with one, can crash the server.

danny36

Explorer
I don't have the details of how to turn the Optical Disk Drive port to a regular HDD / SSD port.
Yes, you can use a boot drive partitioned, with space for application. However, it is not a supported function;
ok i leave it alone

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why would you need a SATA controller, when you don't have room in that chassis for anything but the four bays that are already handled + the ODD port? Put your boot device on a USB SSD and be done with it.

danny36

Explorer
like this?

Attachments

• Immagine 2023-01-26 141225.png
    Immagine 2023-01-26 141225.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 77

danny36

Explorer
Why would you need a SATA controller
because only two of four sata ports it's 6gb so I think to add sata controller for all four disk and with onboard sata controller I have another four sata port, one for boot, and another three ports for cache for example.

danny36

Explorer
I just now installed truenas on an external USB SSD drive but attached to the internal usb port but after installation I have reboot the server but don't boot from internal usb port.

Whattteva

Wizard
I just now installed truenas on an external USB SSD drive but attached to the internal usb port but after installation I have reboot the server but don't boot from internal usb port.
You have to tell the BIOS to boot from USB first.

danny36

Explorer
yes it is already like this because I had already tried to install truenas on usb stick.

danb35

Hall of Famer
because only two of four sata ports it's 6gb
Do you think any of your spinners is going to be close to saturating that?

danny36

Explorer
i tried again with the usb stick attached to internal usb port and boot but with a usb 2.5 ssd with case don't boot on internal usb port.
maybe I did something wrong during installation?