HP ProLiant DL320e Gen8 - HBA Advice

natharas

Cadet
Hi folks, I hope this is the correct area to post this.

I picked up a HP Proliant DL320e G8 LFF cheaply and it came with a HP P222 card, I believe that I can't use this with TrueNAS Scale?
What HBA card should I be looking at and when I go the HBA will my existing cables suffice?
I'll be planning to run the O/S on a SSD that I will connect to the internal SATA controller, would a 128gb SSD be okay?
I would like to use existing hard drives from my Synology to start with and upgrade the capacity as I go, is this a simple process to expand / increase the volume when I get these drives?
I will be putting some video cameras in around the house for security, I assume it would be fairly straight forward to have them write the recordings back to TrueNAS Scale?
Lastly, would 32gb ECC RAM be enough to run this setup?

Thank you in advance

jgreco

Resident Grinch

You can get HBA's that match your internal cabling. Check out the SAS primer.

128GB is fine for a boot device, generous even.

RAIDZ does not currently support capacity expansion one drive at a time. You may wish to check out any of the various ZFS pool design guides out there.

Since you haven't given a lot of detail, it's hard to know if 32GB RAM is sufficient. It probably won't drown puppies and eat babies unless you try to run a crazy large amount of storage from it, but "works" and "sufficient" are workload dependent as well as pool capacity.

natharas

Cadet

You can get HBA's that match your internal cabling. Check out the SAS primer.

128GB is fine for a boot device, generous even.

RAIDZ does not currently support capacity expansion one drive at a time. You may wish to check out any of the various ZFS pool design guides out there.

Since you haven't given a lot of detail, it's hard to know if 32GB RAM is sufficient. It probably won't drown puppies and eat babies unless you try to run a crazy large amount of storage from it, but "works" and "sufficient" are workload dependent as well as pool capacity.
I'll have a proper read through SAS Primer seems to be a lot of info there.
Sorry, so storage wise I'm looking to have 4 x 4TB drives, nothing crazy as it will be for hosting home photo's etc. It will then also run Docker to host a website and then mapping Windows user profiles.