HP Proliant G8 won't boot after connecting KTN-STL4

0xEmma

Cadet
Hey all,
Running a Proliant G8 with a LSI2308 HBA Card, trying to add 2 KTN-STL4's(one has SAS, one has SATA) into my TrueNAS array however when i connect either one my LSI card gets stuck on "initializing" on boot.
How could I go about resolving this?
1634593385944.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Does your system boot with just card and no downstream drives? You likely have a cabling problem with the breakout cable.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What happens if you wait a really long time?

Some weird stuff can happen and can be configured into these cards, including relatively long delays for HDD spinup, etc.

0xEmma

Cadet
What happens if you wait a really long time?

Some weird stuff can happen and can be configured into these cards, including relatively long delays for HDD spinup, etc.
I let it for for around an hour on that initializing screen with no changes :/

jgreco

Resident Grinch
In my experience, this only happens when something is seriously wrong with the hardware. I have definitely seen the BIOS device initialization seize up and it tracks back to something awry, something more subtle than a failed disk or other trite issue.

Does it boot when only one of them is attached? Try both units, one at a time. Swap cables. Pull drives.

It is possible to erase the MPT BIOS from the card which will get you past this, but won't necessarily make things any better, because this is just signaling something is very amiss.

0xEmma

Cadet
In my experience, this only happens when something is seriously wrong with the hardware. I have definitely seen the BIOS device initialization seize up and it tracks back to something awry, something more subtle than a failed disk or other trite issue.

Does it boot when only one of them is attached? Try both units, one at a time. Swap cables. Pull drives.

It is possible to erase the MPT BIOS from the card which will get you past this, but won't necessarily make things any better, because this is just signaling something is very amiss.
It will boot attached to one, with no drives installed, any drives and it will get stuck, tried a few cables and drives

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Mmm. Got nothin' offhand. Still feels like a hardware thing.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't know. I'd start replacing parts and testing things. Often, these problems end up at the "well bah that was obvious in hindsight" state. If you have a RAID controller that you can hook up, does it properly probe with the cabling and shelves? That would give you some hint as to which direction to look in.