Unable to import Disk (even though disk appears when viewed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickuno

Cadet
Hello,
First post on here, and sadly it's a troubleshooting one!

Recently installed FreeNAS (FreeNAS-11.1-U5). When I'm trying to import a disk, no disks are listed under the "member disk" drop-down. However when I click view disks, the disk is shown.

M5kxk5G.png

My system specifications are as follows:
Model - HP Proliant DL320e G8
CPU - Intel E3-1230v2
RAM - 20GB
RAID Controller - P220i Smart Array
HDD - 2 x 3TB Western Digital Red (Configured by the HP Raid controller to be in RAID 1). So technically storage is at ~3TB.

Here is my zpool status as well:
V2R0pjx.png

Any help to solve this issue would be awesome.
Thank you!

kdragon75

Wizard
Configured by the HP Raid controller to be in RAID 1
As you may know this can cause lots of issues with ZFS. at the LEAST you should configure each drive as a RAID0 and disable any caching and readahead/prefetching on the RAID controller.

With that out of the way please provide the output of lspci & camcontrol devlist please paste the output in code tags.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
HDD - 2 x 3TB western digital Red (Configured by the HP Raid controller to be in RAID 1). So technically storage is at ~3TB.
If that's how you configured it then what you are seeing is expected behavior. The system sees 1 disk that the RAID controller presents it. Having said that, you're doing it wrong. FreeNAS needs direct access to the disks so ZFS can do all the wonderful things that it does. Get those disks off the RAID controller and create a new pool with them directly attached to the SATA controllers on the motherboard or get a proper HBA.

Alecmascot

Guru
8.1.5. Import Disk
The Volume ‣ Import Disk screen, shown in Figure 8.1.6, is used to import a single disk that has been formatted with the UFS, NTFS, MSDOS, or EXT2 filesystem. The import is meant to be a temporary measure to copy the data from a disk to an existing ZFS dataset. Only one disk can be imported at a time.

Is this what you are trying to do ?

kdragon75

Wizard
import a disk
I just re-read this. If you are using Import Disk (see link for example). This is only for importing data from foreign disks i.e. an old NTFS formatted hard drive. No for building a pool. If your trying to build a new ZFS "array" you need to use the Volume Manager. NOTE: The volume manager will DESTROY all data on the disks used for the new pool.

kdragon75

Wizard
8.1.5. Import Disk
The Volume ‣ Import Disk screen, shown in Figure 8.1.6, is used to import a single disk that has been formatted with the UFS, NTFS, MSDOS, or EXT2 filesystem. The import is meant to be a temporary measure to copy the data from a disk to an existing ZFS dataset. Only one disk can be imported at a time.

Is this what you are trying to do ?
Beat me to it!

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
When I'm trying to import a disk,
Why, exactly, are you trying to "import a disk"? What are you expecting to accomplish?

Status
Not open for further replies.