Plex plugin or manual install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael De Cou

Explorer
Working with my first Freenas server, on which I plan to run Plex. I installed the plugin, and immediately noticed that it was not the most current version of the server. I also noticed that when logged into the PMS, I would see that an update was available, and that I should update manually. My questions are as follows:
1. Is the lack of an automatic update tied to the Freenas plugin?
2. If I were to install PMS manually into its own jail, would updates be available automatically?
3. Are there any other notable benefits to not using the plugin feature, and installing manually instead?

Hardware build (in case it matters):
  • System: HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 (3.0GHz, 4c, 8MB)
  • RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB DDR4 2133, ECC)
  • Boot: 2 x Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB, Mirrored
  • Hard Drives: Volume 1 (PROD): 4 x 3TB, RAIDZ2-0 (Western Digital Red – WD30EFRX)
  • Volume 2 (SANDBOX): 1 x 500GB, STRIPE (Western Digital Green - WD5000AACS)
  • Disk Controller: HPE Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller, AHCI Mode (RAID Disabled)
  • NIC: Broadcom 5720 Dual-port 1GbE
  • Freenas Build: FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd)

nojohnny101

Wizard

I think so. (not 100% sure on this, someone else will chime in to confirm or deny)

2. If I were to install PMS manually into its own jail, would updates be available automatically?

If you did it manually, updating would be as simple as runnings a few commands from the CLI (form within the jail). So I guess it wouldn't be automatic technically. But you wouldn't have to go and get a file or something and upload it. The "pkg update" would do that for you.

3. Are there any other notable benefits to not using the plugin feature, and installing manually instead?

I personally have installed manually following these instructions. Very straightforward and very easy to keep everything up to date. I had initial problems when installing via the plugin back in 9.3 (seemed finicky to me) but I know many others who are successfully using the plugin just fine and most likely improvements have been made in 9.10. So YMMV.

Mlovelace

Guru
I don't use the plugin system, I installed Plex in a freebsd jail, as I run other services in the jaill as well.

Updating Plex in a jail is all of three commands, super easy.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The plugin gives you the ability to have one click install and one click updates. Those updates might lag a little bit.

Manual install using pkg let's you install Plex or plexpass, updates happen a little faster but have about a 2 day lag.

I do the pkg install because I don't mind using the cli.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
No. It's a limitation of the FreeBSD Plex app.
No
None that I'm aware of.

I've been using this at the command line of the jail to do the updates (in the case where the plugin isn't up to date). I found it on the Plex forum.
Code:
fetch --no-verify-peer -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
./PMS_Updater.sh -u Username_goes_here -p Password_goes_here -a -v

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No. It's a limitation of the FreeBSD Plex app.

No

None that I'm aware of.

I've been using this at the command line of the jail to do the updates (in the case where the plugin isn't up to date). I found it on the Plex forum.
Code:
fetch --no-verify-peer -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
./PMS_Updater.sh -u Username_goes_here -p Password_goes_here -a -v

This method will get you the updates the day they get released from Plex.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.