[HOWTO] Install Serviio in Freenas 8.0.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
Sorry to hear that Spock, but thanks for sharing that tidbit about multicast in Jails. WHEN I get a chance (not sure that will be right now), I'll try post a build of the Multimedia release of 8.03 with Serviio installed so you won't need to use a Jail. It'll increase the size of the build a bit because of all the dependencies of Serviio, like Java & ffmpeg etc., but should make life easier for everyone since they won't need to deal with the Jail aspect.

Spocksbeer

Cadet
Thanks protosd, that sounds good. Conceptually I like the idea of a jail - satisfies my slightly OCD tendency to put everthing in a nice neat compartment. Actually your original guide has still been helpful to me, as I'm now using the jail I created to house a MySQL instance for xbmc.

A "media NAS" is really what I'm after, and to me that would include a DLNA server of some kind and MySQL. I'm yet to find a single solution that will do it all for the right price and with the features I would like. Freenas could do it, but for the limited size of the USB install, and everything else I can think of involves multiple operating systems and virtualization.

Look forward to your guide :)

Fig1047

Dabbler
Proto: Thanks for the tips. It must have been a permissions thing, cuz now it is working, and my TVs can see the server!!!! So I have one more step, and that is to link my movies volume into serviio like Supremicus did. I changed the fstab.serviio in /etc, but now I need to copy it to /conf/base/etc and to the Serviio_Jail folder. When I try to copy it to /conf/base/etc, It says it is a read-only file system and won't copy. When I try to edit it, it won't save. I tried to change permissions and it refuses. Do I need to do this at all? Should I just delete the fstab.serviio in /conf/base/etc and recreate it? Now that I've gotten it to work I don't want to screw it up....

supremicus

Dabbler
do mount -uw / again, then you should be able to

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks protosd, that sounds good. Conceptually I like the idea of a jail - satisfies my slightly OCD tendency to put everthing in a nice neat compartment.

I Agree!

Jails are a nearly perfect way to have *almost* all the extras without the risk of corrupting your FreeNAS installation. It seems like there should be a setting in sysctl.conf to deal with the multicast problem but I don't have time to dig into it, I could be wrong too.

Proto: Thanks for the tips. It must have been a permissions thing, cuz now it is working, and my TVs can see the server!!!! So I have one more step, and that is to link my movies volume into serviio like Supremicus did. I changed the fstab.serviio in /etc, but now I need to copy it to /conf/base/etc and to the Serviio_Jail folder.

You don't need to copy it to the Serviio_Jail folder, just the /conf/base/etc and /etc folders.

Supremicus is correct about the 'mount -uw /', just be sure to set it back to read-only after you finish with 'mount -ro /' (without the quotes of course)

Fig1047

Dabbler
All:
Thanks for all the help and patience. Will finish this tonight. Just saw that Serviio 0.6.1 came out (Yeesh!). I suppose I could run it in the same jail under a different folder, change the IP and Jail IDs, and point the path names to the new folder. As long both versions don't run at the same time it should be OK?

LAYGO

Explorer
Supremicus is correct about the 'mount -uw /', just be sure to set it back to read-only after you finish with 'mount -ro /' (without the quotes of course)

General question about mounting it read/write (-uw) & then rebooting w/o reverting back to readonly (-ro)? Is it necessary to make it readonly before rebooting?

ProtoSD

MVP
General question about mounting it read/write (-uw) & then rebooting w/o reverting back to readonly (-ro)? Is it necessary to make it readonly before rebooting?

No, but if don't reboot and forget to set it back to read-only, it will start to affect system performance etc., and wear out the flash faster.

Fig1047

Dabbler
Supremicus,
I've been struggling to add my movie drive to Serviio, and I accidentally ran mkdir and mount_nullfs commands with "tank" in the command. I can't delete that file structure because it is mounted. How do I "undo" a mount_nullfs command? And once I've linked the folders, I have another question. Do I use the serviio console to tell serviio to look in .../usr/local/serviio-0.6.0.1/MEDIA to find the files or some other way?

Fig1047

Dabbler
Just wanted to say thanks to Proto, Supremicus and Laygo for their help. I *finally* got this working with my storage drive today. Just one tip that may help: Once you set up the remote console to talk to serviio running in the Jail (which, BTW, takes a loooong time to start), make sure you enter the following path in the Library tab:
/usr/local/serviio-0.6.0.1/MEDIA

and add it as a path. That was the last piece of the puzzle for me.

LAYGO

Explorer
Just wanted to say thanks to Proto, Supremicus and Laygo for their help. I *finally* got this working with my storage drive today. Just one tip that may help: Once you set up the remote console to talk to serviio running in the Jail (which, BTW, takes a loooong time to start), make sure you enter the following path in the Library tab:
/usr/local/serviio-0.6.0.1/MEDIA

and add it as a path. That was the last piece of the puzzle for me.

Actually, I did that & I had a big giant mess of media when I went browse for something.

Once I separated it, it made more sense (with appropriate checkmarks):
/usr/local/serviio/media/video
/usr/local/serviio/media/audio
/usr/local/serviio/media/photo

I still have some bugs with detection of meta data, but I basically hid all the other options (genre/series/by date/etc) & left only the "folder" option for my video. Works fine that way for me. Not quite XBMC fancy, but meh, I just want to watch content, not stare at images of my content.

Fig1047

Dabbler
Ah, I see. For me, I mounted my storage volume which has those three folders beheath it (Audio. video, images) instead of _MEDIA. I just stash everything in one of those three folders and it shows up in Serviio inside the Jail. But your way would be cleaner in navigating...

LAYGO

Explorer
Ah, I see. For me, I mounted my storage volume which has those three folders beheath it (Audio. video, images) instead of _MEDIA. I just stash everything in one of those three folders and it shows up in Serviio inside the Jail. But your way would be cleaner in navigating...

This is my config:
/mnt/pool/media

Media is linked to the jail:
/usr/local/serviio/media

Media contains:
/audio
/photo
/video

BUT, if you put in the serviio console /user/local/serviio/media, check all the boxes, you get one giant glob of stuffwhen you browse for it (at least I do on my WDTV). But when I separated the the entries, it seemed to be better organized when viewing in WDTV:

/usr/local/serviio/media/audio
/usr/local/serviio/media/photo
/usr/local/serviio/media/video

At least it makes it easier to browse via "folders" than the scanned meta data.

That was my point. I should see what it looks like in XBMC or on my phone/tablet in UPnPlay.

supremicus

Dabbler
Mine is pretty much done the same way as laygo's. Works out pretty good on the ps3, stuffed around for days making a thumbnail script for sickbeard so it auto thumbnails every show with it's title thumbnail instead of a random seek one with another script that does a copy of the download to a folder called downloads so i can easily track new episodes, with everything else being filed away nicely in their respective show and series folder so all i have to do is delete stuff in my downloads directory when done.

sonisame72

Dabbler
I get portsnap command not found, I am using the recent 64 bit version of multi-media built. Please advise the workaround

midnight

Cadet
Im trying to install the jail with serviio and i got an error message after putting in chroot Serviio_root freebsd-update fetch install

I get ///usr/src/lib/libc/gen/libc_dlopen c: no such file or directory

should i be worry about this if so what should i do to fix this

midnight

Cadet
ok I am trying to the command chown -R admin:admin /usr/local/serviio-0.6.0.1/ but i keep getting chown:admin:invalid argument how do i fix this

LAYGO

Explorer
ok I am trying to the command chown -R admin:admin /usr/local/serviio-0.6.0.1/ but i keep getting chown:admin:invalid argument how do i fix this

Read last few pages, there's some comments on it. Also check your log to see if the admin user actually got created (my issue).

midnight

Cadet
hey LAYGO when i put the commend back in putty it says that admin exist. I dont know what happen but my other question is when I was done with everything I started the jail and it say jail started serviio but I dont see serviio on the xbox 360

ProtoSD

MVP
Ok FreeNAS / Serviio junkies! Here's a custom built version of FreeNAS 8.0.3-p1 Multimedia with the *latest* Serviio 0.6.1 integrated. This means Serviio WITHOUT a Jail. The link has details on configuration.

Update: Both x86 and x64 versions are posted in the link below now.

One more time, I Don't Use Serviio, I don't know details on setting it up and configuring it. I did a *quick* config, loaded a video & played it with XBMC. If you have trouble, look in the Serviio forums and read their FAQ.

FreeNAS 8.0.3 RELEASE-p1 MultiMedia with Serviio 0.6.1 pre-installed

Status
Not open for further replies.