How to use AFP and CIFS on the same share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkroezinga

Dabbler
Hello

I am pretty new to FreeNAS. I installed my first NAS on a HP Microserver. Works fantastic.
However I ran into a problem. In the video guide on the FreeNAS website about shares it is demonstrated how to make different datasets for each sharing protocol. As I understand it the data inside the dataset is shared using that one protocol. All clear.

But what if I want to share the data that I have on the AFP share, via CIFS as well. Is it possible?
The video guide doesn't show it and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else online yet.

I hope any of you can help,

With kind regards,
Geert

L

L

Yes. All you do is share the dataset as both afp and cifs. You may run into some permissions issues if you want to isolate some files.

D

dlavigne

But don't. From http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Sharing_Configuration:

NOTE: while the GUI will let you do it, it is a bad idea to share the same volume or dataset using multiple types of access methods. Different types of shares and services use different file locking methods. For example, if the same volume is configured to use both NFS and FTP, NFS will lock a file for editing by an NFS user, but a FTP user can simultaneously edit or delete that file. This will result in lost edits and confused users. Another example: if a volume is configured for both AFP and CIFS, Windows users may be confused by the extra filenames used by Mac files and delete the ones they don't understand; this will corrupt the files on the AFP share. Pick the one type of share or service that makes the most sense for the types of clients that will access that volume, and configure that volume for that one type of share or service. If you need to support multiple types of shares, divide the volume into datasets and use one dataset per share.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sharing the same files with more than 1 protocol is a recipe for disaster. This is likely why the video doesn't do that.

gkroezinga

Dabbler
Thank you all for replying.

I will make separate datasets for the protocols.

Kind regards,
Geert

Status
Not open for further replies.