AFP share

Status
Not open for further replies.

tux780

Cadet
I have created a AFP share with no issues to a data set with folders created inside that dataset from the mac computer. However, from my Mac Computer I right click on the file folder get info. At the bottom where the permissions are I have custom access however when I try and change a permission it gives me the "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission"
How can I fix that or is that something that cannot be fixed, you basically set the permissions in the data set and thats it kind of thing?

Glorious1

Guru
Welcome to the forums.

I think that's right. I have never found enlightenment using the Get Info window on my Mac to examine permissions on my FreeNAS, and as I recall no luck changing them there.

I would suggest creating separate datasets when you want separate permissions.

On the other hand, you can SSH into your FreeNAS machine and change permissions and owners by command line for subfolders of a dataset. However, I'm not sure what the permissions would be of a file or folder you later create inside that - the permissions of the parent folder, or the default permissions of the dataset. I've not experimented lately because I have dataset permissions that don't need to be varied within the dataset.

nojohnny101

Wizard
What @Glorious1 said, don't try and edit permissions from the "Get Info" window in Finder. I have also found it extremely unreliable to even display what permissions the folder/file actually had.

I would recommend trying to do everything from the GUI first, using the "edit" mode and then setting permission recursively or not. If you need more customization then that, you will have to go command line. This is discouraged though unless you know what you are doing. We generally advise people to not do things "behind the GUI's back".

Status
Not open for further replies.