How to set up a static ip for FreeNAS GUI

Fabbat

Dabbler
Hi all,
I'm new of this exciting forum. I'm new of FreeNAS too. I set up FreeNas and now I love it! My problem is that I want to reach the Administrative GUI by specific IP, out of DHCP range. I tried using Interface definition but my plugins stop to work, and in the documentation I read that the GUI is not included in the Interface option ( this my understood, sorry...)
Can someone help me hot to set up proprerly FreeNAS to reach with static IP the GUI with no effect on other plugin (Plex, Transmission, OwnCloud)?
I tryed to serch in this forum with words "static,IP,config" but I didn't find a clear answer to my question.
I have Freenas 9.1.1, a Intel Core2 Duo CPU, 2 MB of RAM and 2TB of HDD (yes it's a cheap NAS!)
Thank you all

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
From the console there is an option to configure IP address. Set the static ip there.

Fabbat

Dabbler
Pirategost, thank you for your replay. I'm not shure about what is the console. Do you refer to the web administration GUI? I was looking at Network -> Global config, but I cannot find the right option to configure the static ip. Please, could you tell me the full path to find the appropriate option?
Thank you

Mr_N

Patron
No the local console which your presented with right after you finish the freenas install, at which time you set the ip on your network interface and then all future interaction can be via the web gui which you reach by putting said static ip into your web browser etc

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Pirategost, thank you for your replay. I'm not shure about what is the console. Do you refer to the web administration GUI? I was looking at Network -> Global config, but I cannot find the right option to configure the static ip. Please, could you tell me the full path to find the appropriate option?
Thank you

No the local console which your presented with right after you finish the freenas install, at which time you set the ip on your network interface and then all future interaction can be via the web gui which you reach by putting said static ip into your web browser etc

This.

Fabbat

Dabbler
Ok, thank you all. Just last question, if I change now the option in the console, this could affect some other functionality or setting (for instance: plugins stop to work,...)?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ok, thank you all. Just last question, if I change now the option in the console, this could affect some other functionality or setting (for instance: plugins stop to work,...)?
The IP of the freenas machine should have no bearing on plugins since they run on their own ip addresses

Sent from my Nexus 7

Fabbat

Dabbler
Thank you all. I tried to use console during these days. I choose option 1, the result was I added a new interface settings for the re0 interface. The IP address now is correct but my plugins stop to work, if I cancel this interface definition (also via webGUI) and I re-use the DHCP service, plugins start to work.
Maybe I use the wrong voice of console. COuld someone tell me which option number I will use to set up the static IP of my freeNAS?

Thank you

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
how about you troubleshoot why your plugins would stop working? it sounds like you dont really have a grasp on basic networking.

option 1 was the correct option on the console. Configure your static IP. Beyond that, within the webGUI, you need to make sure you have 'NAMESERVERS' configured, as well as a 'DEFAULT GATEWAY'. These are basic networking concepts for your computer to have network access. Every computer must have a. IP address, b. default gateway, c. subnet mask, d. nameserver(s); that is, if you expect any of the services on that computer to be able to communicate with anything but itself.

Fabbat

Dabbler
how about you troubleshoot why your plugins would stop working? it sounds like you dont really have a grasp on basic networking.

option 1 was the correct option on the console. Configure your static IP. Beyond that, within the webGUI, you need to make sure you have 'NAMESERVERS' configured, as well as a 'DEFAULT GATEWAY'. These are basic networking concepts for your computer to have network access. Every computer must have a. IP address, b. default gateway, c. subnet mask, d. nameserver(s); that is, if you expect any of the services on that computer to be able to communicate with anything but itself.

About my knoledge maybe you right, anyway thank you for your response. I try to give more details on my problem. I create an interface for re0 as you can see in the picture "interface Freenas.jpg"

Everything works well, but not the plugin section. As you can see in the picture "freenas plugin error" I cannot see the plugin. The configuration tab with collection URL field is properly filled in with "http://www.appcafe.org/freenas/json" address.

did I forget something in the interface set up to fix, or I missed some parameters?

Attachments

• Interface freenas.JPG
    Interface freenas.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,445
  • freenas plugin error.JPG
    freenas plugin error.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,183

Bhoot

Patron
First, boot FreeNAS and you should see this screen after boot.

Type 1 and press enter to get into the network interface configuration. You will see all the network interfaces listed. In my case I only have one network interface.

Type 1 and press Enter. Then answer the following question.

Q: Reset Network Configuration? (Y/N)
A: Press N

Q: Configure Interface for DHCP? (Y/N)

Q: Configure IPv4? (Y/N)
A: Press Y
And then give a new name for the interface or simply press Enter. Next type the IP address you want to assign to the server.

IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.200 (its just an example. You can change this to anything you want)
IPv4 Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Q: Configure IPv6? (Y/N)
(I do not need to configure IPv6 at the moment).

Now FreeNAS will reset the network interface. Now you should see your new IP address displayed.

You can now access the web interface using the new IP address

deanspy

Cadet
Will this also keep the ip address of the samba share as the same static address?

Bhoot

Patron

thenerb

Dabbler
Need help with plugins not working. I just installed a new router and as a result the IP has changed on the FreeNAS box. I'm running 11.1 U6. This has resulted in my plugins no longer working. I try starting them from the GUI and they no longer start up. How can I fix this issue? My apologies as I am not that technical.

I have set a static IP for the GUI of 192.168.50.200 (previous IP's were 192.168.86.XXX).

For plugins, I am running Plex, Sonarr and SABNZBD

Must I set up a gateway and nameserver (I didn't have this previously and things were working). If yes, I'm not sure what that means or how to do it.

nohackmove

Cadet
Hi I have downloaded the latest stable build and installed to a Virtual Environment to test it and learn it a bit. After installation default ip for Web interface is set to 10.0.2.15 however my network is on 192.168.2.1
I am rookie here and want to experience this in first hand. So How possible Can I change the web interrface ip address?
And the screen is as attached after boot the host.

After I learn how to configure I want to install it to an old Desktop with recomended hardware to use my several hard drives as network storage at home.
FreeNAS01.JPG

After installation default IP for Web interface is set to 10.0.2.15 however my network is on 192.168.2.1
Something else that lives on your network is giving out DHCP address on the 10.0.2 network. I rarely run FreeNAS/FreeBSD hosts so they get DHCP addresses, but I am sure DHCPD will log someplace who (IP address) gave it that address.