How to make Plex reachable from the "outside"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyBear

Contributor
+1 for getting rid of the Modem and replacing it if you can't dumb it down into "bridge" mode so it just acts as a modem rather than a gateway. Up here in the Great White North the Tier-1 ISP that my ISP rides on top of forces them to use a crappy modem but luckily this can be forced into bridge mode which gets rid of the double NAT and also another layer of potential trouble.

I googled the model number and "bridged mode" and found a whack of guides for doing this. Whether you can do it easily depends on your ISP.

You will also, of course, need a router behind the modem once it is in bridge mode. If you are also using IPTV then things can get a little tricky due to the VLAN tagging used by ISPs but again there are lots of guides out there.

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
I don't think I want to make the investment in another box to make it my own router. Is it possible that my ISP, Charter is blocking ports? I haven't heard of them doing so. I'm thinking of of getting a Netgear N450 modem/router combo to replace this Motorola one. Has anyone had success or difficulties with port forwarding on this model or Netgears in general?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't think I want to make the investment in another box to make it my own router. Is it possible that my ISP, Charter is blocking ports? I haven't heard of them doing so. I'm thinking of of getting a Netgear N450 modem/router combo to replace this Motorola one. Has anyone had success or difficulties with port forwarding on this model or Netgears in general?
I used Charter until 2012 and don't recall any of the more used ports being blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.