How to install/run filebrowser

thimplicity

Dabbler
Hi everyone,
I am new to Linux and TrueNAS, coming over from a QNAP, and I miss a file browser :). Thankfully, I am apparantly not alone and someone developed one:
https://filebrowser.org/

I have tried to install it in a jail, but have failed miserably so far. I have tried it alone and together with a caddy installation in the same jail, but without success. I get to a point, where it is listening to the port I tell it to listen to, but I cannot access the GUI on the respective IP (when using DHCP) or the port (when using NAT).

It would be great, if someone would be able/willing to help!

P.S. The good thing about it is that I had to learn file operations in the shell :wink:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Would still like to install filebrowser though :)
Seems it installed just fine when I tried it... I guess you mean you want it running as a service (so somebody would need to make the rc.d file).

thimplicity

Dabbler
Seems it installed just fine when I tried it... I guess you mean you want it running as a service (so somebody would need to make the rc.d file).
I would be happy to be able to access it initially. I am not even sure whether I installed it correctly. Also I might not fully understand what running vs running as a service means

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I am not even sure whether I installed it correctly
You made a jail and then from inside that jail ran the 2 commands recommended in the unix installation instructions?

curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/filebrowser/get/master/get.sh | bash

filebrowser -r /path/to/your/files

The things you probably encountered... You don't have curl and bash by default in a jail... easily fixed... pkg install bash curl

After that...

The default database that filebrowser creates limits the IP connectivity to localhost, so you probably can't connect to it...

filebrowser config set address 0.0.0.0 (to listen on all IP addresses of the jail)

then

filebrowser -r /path/to/your/files

At which point you're going to realize that if you quit the terminal you're in, the program stops running... so you'll be asking about how to run it as a service (so it starts automatically and runs all the time when the jail is started).

thimplicity

Dabbler
filebrowser config set address 0.0.0.0 (to listen on all IP addresses of the jail)
this one did the trick to be able to open it, at least when the jail shell is open - thanks!

Can you point me in the right direction to get it set up as a service and have it run all the time?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

sretalla