How to run beets (music tagging app) on TrueNAS

gwmccort

Cadet
I would like to run the beets music tagging application on my music file stored on TrueNAS. I was trying to use ports, but had trouble when trying to run make. When googleing I saw that directly installing ports was a bad idea and you should use beets via a jail. I also see you can use beets via a docker image. My question is how should I run beets on TrueNAS (eg install directly on TrueNAS, via a jail or via docker or …) and are there any instructions on how to do install/run it?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TrueNAS is an appliance operating system, and you should not attempt to make any changes to the base OS. It is not like a conventional FreeBSD or Linux OS, regardless of how much it might seem to resemble one. Changes can cause various kinds of failures, including problems when updating/upgrading, failure of the NAS software, etc.

Your options are to run this inside a jail (FreeBSD), container (Linux), or virtual machine (either one). The virtual machine option may be somewhat easier if you are unfamiliar with jails or Docker, but also consumes more resources.