how to...import & access existing data set

ericg75

Explorer
Hello- Goal: I would like to recover/access & use existing files that I had (past-tense) on my TrueNAS Core box HDD's.
System Overview Platform: Generic Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U7 HostName: truenas.local
Situation: I built a TrueNAS Core box. It had 2-6TB HDD's administered as mnt/poolONE/ds1. I copied files (about 100GB) to that pool. The pool was administered as SMB, and I could access/use/read/write to those files from my Winders10 desktop PC's. THEN, I shot myself in the foot by mishandling the TrueNAS boot drive- I formatted that boot drive.
Now I want to RESTORE ACCESS TO and USE (read & write) those files that are on the 2-6TB HDD's. ( I did NOT format the 2-6TB HDD's- only the boot drive.)
So, I have re-loaded/re-installed TrueNAS Core 12.0-U7 to a boot drive; it is up and running and I have https:// access to the web interface. I then added the two existing 6TB HDD's to a pool.
Now I go to 1 of my Winders10 desktop PC's and search "network"; I find the TrueNAS ds1. I dbl-click on it and I see my desired sub-folders are there. I am very happy that I can see these folders! When I dbl-click on any of the folders; I get the infamous MS screen that says: " Open Folder \\TRUENAS\ds1\Erxx\Documents is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. This file is currently not available for use on this computer."

Obviously it has to do with permissions, but I am not finding my way when it comes to resolving the issue.
Any/all comments, assistance is appreciated. Thank you-

ericg75

Explorer
Additional: Windows10 Network Diagnostics tells me: "The device or resource (TRUENAS) is not set up to accept connections on port 'The File and print sharing (SMB)'

ericg75

Explorer
How could I pull my desired files off of the TrueNAS HDD's using a Debian PC? I would bet I would have more control of the environment using Linux rather than Windows.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you really haven't given us much to go on, and you've posted in an inappropriate part of the forum, as it's plain to see that your problem has nothing to do with hardware. But a few suggestions:
  • Make sure you've turned on the SMB service
  • Make sure you've shared the dataset in question
  • Make sure you have a user on the TrueNAS system that matches the user you're using to connect on the Windows system
  • Make sure that user has access to the dataset in question.
All of this is described in the docs, link at the top of this page. And I suspect your problem lies in one or more of these areas.
How could I pull my desired files off of the TrueNAS HDD's using a Debian PC?
If you mean over the network, you'd mount the share over SMB, which is subject to the same limitations/requirements noted above. If you want to physically plug the drives into a Debian box, Google how to install OpenZFS on whatever version of Debian you're using.

ericg75

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I ask what would be a better forum for my question- ?

Alecmascot

Guru

danb35

Hall of Famer
I ask what would be a better forum for my question- ?
At this point your data is gone I think.
That wouldn't be consistent with the OP appearing to say that he can see the various shares but not access them. But that would mean that, rather than "adding the two existing 6TB HDDs to a pool" (as in an existing pool), he'd imported the pool that consisted of those two disks.

Redcoat

MVP
Did you have a saved configuration that you can reload? The save processes are described here to jog your memory:

https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/system/general/configbackup/

Even if you didn't make the manual backup of the config, the system would have made one for you if the system ran overnight, that, with a little work can be pulled off and reloaded.

Do you have WinSCP on your Windows machine and SSH access to your TrueNAS box? If so, use WinSCP to open the most recent /var/db/system/configs-"big number" folder, open the latest TrueNAS version file and find the most recent "pre format event" .db file - see screenshot here.

1648509316805.png

Copy that file to /data as freenas-v1.db

1648509767226.png

Reboot and you should find your earlier configuration is back.

Good luck!

danb35

Hall of Famer