SOLVED Cannot Access my Pool

denaba

Explorer
SO I updated from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12.0-U4 (just saw there is a 4.1). My setup was very basic; a pool with one mount point. Folders inside (about 4 of them). I did not use the "root" as a user, created new ones. I wanted this to just be a plain "access all" anytime from any Windows systems. It has worked fine for years.

Of course as with any upgrade issues will arise so coming here to find out what I am missing because now none of my computers can access the TrueNAS. I tried the following:

ping - yes it does get the pings and I get them back so it is there
computers - Windows 8.1 and 10 systems
web browser - I can get in via this method
network - I disconnected the drive in Windows 8.1, tried adding it, entered credential and it will not make the connection. Also in Windows if I click on the left side "Network" the TrueNAS is listed, but if I click on it same thing; not able to connect

I looked at all my settings and they are the same so there is something else that was either added or removed and it is not popping out on me.

Scratching my head, anything that I can recheck would be be helpful. Thank you again everyone.

BlkMesa

Cadet
Newbie here. I just did the same thing this morning; Updated from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS (stable) and while I can still get in through the web browser, all three of my computers (win10 x2, MacOS 11.4) can no longer access it. I'm prompted for a password to my root user and, when entered correctly, I get the error:

"\\FREENAS is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is in the release notes. TrueNAS 12 no longer allows using the root account to access Windows shares. You'll need to create a different account and password, and make that account the owner of the share. You'll also have to have all the clients switch to using this account instead of root.

BlkMesa

Cadet
Thank you very much, Samuel. I was looking everywhere BUT the release notes, and lesson learned.

denaba

Explorer
Thank you Samuel Tai for the answer. This may be a good time to restructure who can access the folders. In the past my Users I created had full access. About a year ago I wanted to really work on actually having just two users;
1-just to read the files (in case my 4 year old starts trying to delete things)
2-my main computer to have full access since I am the one who create picture folders to organize things.

So I deleted my old user, I created two brand new users. Running out of time here, but this is where I am at. I will need to pickup tomorrow. Any other information will be greatly appreciated.

denaba

Explorer
Just wanted to chime back in here. I got everything squared away with thanks to all your help. But as mentioned, this exercise showed me that I need to keep up not only on the software side, but also hardware.

Anyways, good here. Thank you everyone.

Boneshark

Cadet
This is in the release notes. TrueNAS 12 no longer allows using the root account to access Windows shares. You'll need to create a different account and password, and make that account the owner of the share. You'll also have to have all the clients switch to using this account instead of root.
Thank you - fixed my problem - will read the notes more carefully in the future

adrianvoogd

Cadet
Thank you - fixed my problem - will read the notes more carefully in the future
Hi Samual, I am an absolute newbie and was able to work with trunas (TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1) with the help of some tutorials for a year or so with no problem. After switching from a local account to a windows account in windows 10 I was not able to acces my truenas share?? So nothing was changed or updated in Truenas to my knowledge. How do you make an account own a share and also how do you switch clients to us the account instead of root?