How to give NIS users samba access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrost

Cadet
I've configured NIS on FreeNAS and can log in with an NIS account just fine. The problem now is giving an NIS user access to a CIFS share. The way I normally do it is through the smbpasswd -a command, but as I've found out any change you make through CLI does not persist. How do I do this in the GUI? The NIS users do not show up in the GUI list of users, and when I go to modify my existing CIFS shares I see no option for giving access to users. I apologize if other have already asked this question, I can't imagine I'm the only one, but I haven't found a thread that addresses this.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've configured NIS on FreeNAS and can log in with an NIS account just fine. The problem now is giving an NIS user access to a CIFS share. The way I normally do it is through the smbpasswd -a command, but as I've found out any change you make through CLI does not persist. How do I do this in the GUI? The NIS users do not show up in the GUI list of users, and when I go to modify my existing CIFS shares I see no option for giving access to users. I apologize if other have already asked this question, I can't imagine I'm the only one, but I haven't found a thread that addresses this.

Check samba's SAM database for your NIS users with the command "pdbedit -L". If they are not in the database, then my inclination is to say this is a bug. File a bug report here: https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas
And post a link to the bug report as a response to this forum thread.

zrost

Cadet
The command lists all the NIS users I've added to samba with the smbpasswd -a command. Problem is this list gets deleted as soon as FreeNAS is rebooted. There has to be a GUI equivalent of the smbpasswd command, I just don't know where it is.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The command lists all the NIS users I've added to samba with the smbpasswd -a command. Problem is this list gets deleted as soon as FreeNAS is rebooted. There has to be a GUI equivalent of the smbpasswd command, I just don't know where it is.
There is no GUI equivalent because the users should be automatically added to the SAM database. I'll let the iX people give the final word, but I strongly suspect this is a bug.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What a shame, they won't do anything about it
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/11514

I wasted a few thousands dollars on these FreeNAS Mini devices then. Its clearly not a good product for a business.

Post contents of /etc/local/smb4.conf.

Have you tried adding the following auxiliary parameters to your CIFS config?
Code:
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd '%u'
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *ReType*new*password* %n\n *passwd*changed*\n

Caveat - I have never used NIS. These parameters are based on old samba mailing list posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.