Samba Home Directories Not Accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egon Olieux

Dabbler
Hi all,

CIFS (Samba) is configured to share user home directories, but when I try to access any of them, Windows displays the security window asking for a username and password. Since the username and password on my Windows machine match those of my FreeNAS server, it should not be asking for those credentials.

Since my permissions are correctly set, I looked in the Samba log for any errors and encountered this:

Code:
2014/10/15 15:02:26.421468,  1] ../source3/smbd/service.c:550(make_connection_snum)
  create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

The only explanation I could come up with is that the Samba users were not configured correctly, so I checked the smbpasswd file in /var/etc/private, but to my surprise the smbpasswd file does not exist. I tried to manually add the Samba users to see if the smbpasswd file would be generated, but it gave me the following error instead:

Code:
Unable to modify TDB passwd: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL!
Failed to add entry for user egon.

Doesnt FreeNAS normally automatically create a Samba user for any user added to the system? And why is the smbpasswd file missing and am I not able to manually create Samba users? I am using FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 RELEASE 64 bit.

Egon Olieux

Dabbler
smbpasswd was deprecated a long time ago in favor of pdbedit. That being said, your problem is almost certainly a permissions issue.
Ah, I didn't know about pdbedit. I had no idea smbpasswd was deprecated; thanks for pointing that out. I managed to add samba user 'egon' using pdbedit and everything is working as it should now. Anyway, the question remains why FreeNAS did not automatically create a Samba user.

Status
Not open for further replies.