Update to latest stable (4/2/2015) fails to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithg

Explorer
I have been on the 'Stable' branch and have recently turned on NIS as I want to have this control my users' (4) passwords and home directories. I updated this morning as I got a message saying that there was a new release. This rebooted properly, and I was notified that I needed to remove a release on my startup disk as it was >80% full. I did so and also turned on NIS then rebooted. I started having problems with my NFS root mounted devices (raspberry pis), so I logged into the web interface to see what was up, and it would no longer allow me to see the properties of the NFS mounts. So, I thought my selection of NIS may require a reboot, so I rebooted again. This time, the NAS will not come back up, no web interface. I can SSH into it, and it allows a login, I get the MOTD, but no prompt. ON the boot console, it gets to "Starting nfsuserd" and hangs.

I know I do not yet have 8Gb of ram, I have 6Gb. I am working on it but still have not received RAM that will work. It is a Dell Precision 390 workstation dual Xeon, 6Gb, 3 2Tb drives as a ZFS pool. Can I loginto somehow and turn off NIS as I think that may be what is stopping the boot.

How can I get this back up and booting? I have a semi recent configuration backup, but nothing really recent.

EDIT: It finally booted. I turned off NIS and rebooted and it all seems 'back to normal'. Is there a problem with NIS?

Attachments

• 20150411_152044.resized.jpg
    20150411_152044.resized.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not a clue if it is a problem with NIS. But to be honest, don't expect anyone to put in much effort when you don't have the minimum specs. We *know* FreeNAS is weird and unreliable. In fact, it's so unreliable it's not even reliably unreliable!

Status
Not open for further replies.