Certain pages in web gui hang at loading... when NIS enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawthorn6

Cadet
I have a new install of FreeNAS 9.10 running on bare metal. The web gui performance was working fine until I enabled NIS and then some pages like System --> General or Advanced get stuck at Loading.... and then eventually error out. The rest of the web gui pages work fine as expected. If I disable NIS then the problem goes away. Enable NIS and the problem comes back. I have another FreeNAS server the same version and also using NIS that works fine all the time so I don't think it is my connection to the NIS server. I am able to setup datasets and configure almost anything that does not rely on those web gui pages. Thanks for any input.

D

dlavigne

Hardware specs? FreeNAS build version (from System -> Information)?

Hawthorn6

Cadet
Dell PowerEdge R620
- 256GB Ram
- Dual 2.9Ghz 8 core Processors
- with 4 400GB SSD drives
- Build version FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 (f045a8b)

The server is being used as just a home directory central location for a small number of users, however the NIS number of user accounts total on the network is probably close to a 1000.

Hawthorn6

Cadet
Update: Also when I ssh to the FreeNAS server I enter my username and password and then it waits for about 5 min or so and then gives me the console. It almost seems like it is waiting for something to timeout.

In the web gui now I also have an issue when I am trying to open the "Change Permission" window for a data set it just sits at Loading.... With NIS directory service disabled this pops right up. However on the same configuration on different freeNAS server everything works fine.

Hawthorn6

Cadet
After troubleshooting this all day I have found out some new information. For some reason my domain is not binding. If type ypwhich in the shell I get Domain not bound. I have rebuilt the server from scratch just to see what happens and the same problem exists. On my other freeNAS boxes if I type ypwhich I get the NIS server that I connecting to. I am at a loss...any ideas?

Hawthorn6

Cadet
I finally figured out what the problem was. Since the new FreeNAS box is sitting on a different subnet than the NIS server I had to check the box for "Enable Manycast" even though I do define the NIS server and there is only one specified. Once I did that everything started to work with no delays and ypwhich showed the domain was bound to a NIS server as expected. I should have realized that broadcasts would not have passed the router between subnets, but I didn't understand why it would be broadcasting anyway if I specified the IP address of the NIS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.