SOLVED Trouble with root user

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianW

Dabbler
Hello,

we do have an issue with the root user, running 9.3-STABLE-20150410.
1. When I want to change filepermissions there will be the error message: "The user root is not valid".
2. When I want to set up a new rsync task (via SSH) it is something like: "You need a user with a private key."

- It seems like FreeNAS is even looking in our ldap on another machine to find a root user. We haven't changed anything on our ldap system and it was running well a long time.
- getent passwd output shows the root user
- login as root is possible
- older rsync tasks run as root (we just can't set up new ones)
- I found an older bug report related to NIS and a similar issue, but we don't use NIS.
- I can't tell exactly, if the issue appeared since I changed the root password and added my public key (because I didn't try 1. & 2. afterwards), but changing the password again, won't fix the issue.
- I know, there are many updates waiting, but I do not want to update anything, as long as there is an issue with the root user.

Any ideas or requests for more information?
Christian

edit:
could it be this patch, that will fix my problems?: https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/9862

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

1. When I want to change filepermissions there will be the error message: "The user root is not valid".

What type of share and what utility are you using to change the file permissions?

2. When I want to set up a new rsync task (via SSH) it is something like: "You need a user with a private key."

Have you created a key pair for the root user and copied the pubic key to the root user account in the GUI?

ChristianW

Dabbler
Hi dlavigne,

thanks for answering!
It's a UNIX type and I tried to change permissions by selecting the share in the WebGUI of FreeNAS and hit "Edit Permissions".
Indeed I've created a key pair. The strange thing: Old tasks still run smoothly and I can connect to the remote server from FreeNAS-shell with the ssh key of FreeNAS root user, which I copied to the remote machine.
hm...

ChristianW

Dabbler
Hello dlavigne and thanks for keeping this in mind!
I haven't solved it yet, but will do the updates for FreeNAS today. Hopefully this will run smoothly and fix this issue.

ChristianW

Dabbler
Made the updates. I can change permissions now. Will try to set up new tasks in a minute...
I'm pretty happy :smile:

ChristianW

Dabbler
One little addition on this...
While hitting the "change permissions" button for a dataset, I get two root users in user-drop-down-list now. At menu "Accounts-User" is only one root user shown.
But I don't want to complain... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.