Do I use root or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hendry

Explorer
Hi, I'm new to FreeNAS.

I'm a little puzzled by the subject of User accounts. There doesn't seem to be any prescriptive advice in the Documentation either: http://doc.freenas.org/11/account.html A lot of "what" and no "why".

My initial UX is I'm asked to set the root password and that's what I use to login with the Web interface.
However it would seem I'm unable to login with ssh with the same credentials: `ssh root@freenas.local`

Ignoring the complexity of Guest accounts so people in my LAN can see my Samba shares and the unnerving long list of existing systems users, if I want to be able to rsync data to my NAS, should I be creating a new account in my name with my public key? Or should I be modifying the root user?

Should I be using the root account at all?

garm

Wizard
Don’t use root for content, always always always set up dedicated users for people, services and tasks and groups for access management. Never use root:wheel for anything except maintenance.

hendry

Explorer
Wish it said that in the Documentation. Now I am left scratching my head at the Add User dialog.

What should the primary or auxillary groups be? Where should the home directory go? Please feel free to point me to a guide, since I don't see any documentation here on best practices.

In my fantasy world, the accounts in my household would be painless to re-setup in these event my boot drive failed or a I moved to another FreeNAS box.

garm

Wizard
Everything you do in the GUI is saved in your configuration database, just make sure to save the config and you can effortless get up and running on a new install.

What is required of your users depend on your requirements. For only accessing SMB shares you can follow @m0nkey_ ’s YouTube video on the subject. For more advanced user and access management like building services and such I propose you go upstream and read the FreeBSD docs to get the basics and then read up on the documentation on each service you intend to run.

danb35

Hall of Famer
it would seem I'm unable to login with ssh with the same credentials: `ssh root@freenas.local`
Is the ssh service running? Have you enabled root logins? Because the same credentials will work for the web GUI and SSH.

Is the ssh service running? Have you enabled root logins? Because the same credentials will work for the web GUI and SSH.

Speaking a Unix greybeard, direct logins to root are almost always blocked for a totally valid security reasons. Create a user login for yourself, and then add that login to the group "wheel". Then you will be able to login is with your user account and "su" over to root.

Status
Not open for further replies.