How to Expand My Current Volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_get_man

Cadet
So I have a Volume made up of 4 disks. 3x1TB and 1X4TB which should = 7TB. However, my volume only = 2.7 TB.

How can I expand this volume to include all of the disk capacity?

I am using FreeNAS 8.2.0 and I am pretty new to FreeNAS.

gpsguy

Slowly replace the 1TB drives with 4TB drives, one at a time, following the instructions in the manual, and the volume will expand automatically.

See the documentation - http://doc.freenas.org/

At some point, consider upgrading, v 8.2.0 is several years old

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why would you think it's supposed to be 7tb? If all those disks are in a single vdev, the only way they would equate to that much storage is if you have zero redundancy and went with a stripe across all the disks. Which would be a dumb move if you care about the data.

the_get_man

Cadet
Slowly replace the 1TB drives with 4TB drives, one at a time, following the instructions in the manual, and the volume will expand automatically.

See the documentation - http://doc.freenas.org/

At some point, consider upgrading, v 8.2.0 is several years old

So the reason I got on the forum is because the system had 4x1TB disks and storage space equaled 2.7TB. I replaced 1 of the disk with a 4TB drive which gave me the disk setup mentioned above but the storage space stayed at 2.7 instead of expanding. I thought adding the 4 TB drive would automatically increase my storage space to at least 5.7TB.

So in other words the volume did not expand automatically.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The volume will expand automatically when you have all the same size disks in the vdev. Just like any raid would.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So the reason I got on the forum is because the system had 4x1TB disks and storage space equaled 2.7TB. I replaced 1 of the disk with a 4TB drive which gave me the disk setup mentioned above but the storage space stayed at 2.7 instead of expanding. I thought adding the 4 TB drive would automatically increase my storage space to at least 5.7TB.

So in other words the volume did not expand automatically.

No, because you need to replace *all* the disks with 4TB drives, at which point it'll grow.

Mr_N

Patron
It will never grow bigger than your smallest drive * number of drives - redundancy factor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.