How to expand current volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Nelson

Cadet
hi guys,
Im fairly new to FreeNAS and i think i have an issue with expanding the volume.

I have 3TB of disk space as seen here:
ybloTyw.png

however the volume shows 1.5TB
bd37zDh.png

I cant find out how to edit the volume to expand it.

Any help would be greatful

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
You have a 3TB drive.

You are using 1.2 TiB (the "Used" column).

You have 1.5 TiB available (the "Available" column).

1.2 + 1.5 = 2.7 TiB = 2.96 TB.

What's the problem?

Brad Nelson

Cadet
LOL! i see now. I read it wrong. I see now that im using 44% of available space.

Thanks for showing that to me, i'm blaming it on lack of coffee.

Brad Nelson

Cadet
Out of curiosity, how come it shows 1 of those as 43% and the other 44% while one shows Lz4 compression.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
One is raw drive capacity, one is top level dataset capacity.

EDIT: Compression method is a property of datasets, not of storage pools.

Since we're here, I have to ask, why a single-disk vdev? You're missing most of the benefits of ZFS with that.

Brad Nelson

Cadet
I followed an article on how to set up FreeNAS, maybe the article wasnt written by someone with vast knowledge. How would you recommend I do it?
thanks for your info by the way.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The standing assumption here is that you're using FreeNAS because you care about your data and want to protect it. That means using proper server-grade hardware and multiple hard drives in some kind of redundant configuration (mirrors or some sort of RAIDZ). Here's some recommended reading:
ZFS for n00bz
Hardware recommendations
Are you using a hardware RAID controller? Those are strongly discouraged with FreeNAS.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
maybe the article wasnt written by someone with vast knowledge
There are good articles and bad articles. You can be confident following advice from any of the stickies in these forums. Anything external would be case by case.

Follow @danb35 's suggestions for initial reading and go from there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There are good articles and bad articles, and then there are articles that were once good but are now bad. That last group result, at least in part, from the somewhat messy history of FreeNAS. Some years ago, there was a different project called FreeNAS. It had minimal hardware requirements, which led to numerous articles and YouTube videos along the lines of "recycle your antique doorstop of a computer into a NAS with FreeNAS!" (I ran it myself on an old Dell laptop with a USB hard drive and a 256 MB USB stick as a boot device). Development on that project went dormant for a while, and iXSystems bought the name and developed a new product. The new product is called FreeNAS, it's still FreeBSD-based, and it's still a NAS server solution, but that's about where the similarities end. The original FreeNAS product has since revived and renamed itself to NAS4Free.

We see a lot of people here who have read one of the articles, or seen one of the videos, about the old FreeNAS, and are frustrated that their hardware is inadequate for the product now called FreeNAS. Some of them have learned this only after they've lost quite a lot of data as a result of their inadequate hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.