Expand Raidz1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Hi All,

Hopefully simple question.

I have 5 x 1TB disks in Raidz1 volume. I would like to replace these now with 5 x 2TB disks. If I swap them one at a time and resilver after each one, I should be able to do this I think, but I will still end up with only 1 TB of each disk in use. Once the process is complete, will I be able to expand the volume to use the full space of each drive or I am going to have to create a new volume?

Many Thanks

gpsguy

Once the last disk has been replaced and resilvered, your volume will auto expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Fantastic - that makes life easy then :)

Many thanks

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
If I swap them one at a time and resilver after each one
Do you have a way to temporarily attach a 6th disk? If so, use the replace feature and it will resilver without degrading your pool protection.
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html#replacing-drives-to-grow-a-zfs-pool

Otherwise, if you pull a drive, insert a replacement, and resilver, if you lose have corruption or lose another drive, your pool is gone. And even if the first drive resilvers successfully, then you have to dodge that bullet 4 more times.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
That seems like a much better plan - thank you. I'm not sure if I have a spare Sata port but if I have then I'll go that route instead.

Thanks again.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Well, I also have a three drive stripe array in this device, so I guess I could temporarily remove those drives, use those ports for the new drives and do the replacement in parallel. Brilliant.

Thanks for all the help. Now just got to raise the funds for the drives :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.