How to increase volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighead81

Cadet
I have Freenas running of ESXI with 4 x 3tb hard drives. From ESXI I only allocated only half of all 4 hard drives space to freenas. Now I need to expand the volume within freenas for more space.

I would like to know how to increase the volume size. How can I increase the volume to use the full capacity of the hard drives.

I have increased capcaity allocation within ESXI and Freenas sees the four disks with disk size at full capacity in "view disks" but its the volume where I am using half of the full capacity with on 20gb left. I am running the 4 hard drives in raidz.

Appreciate the help to increase this

Last edited:

DylanT

Cadet
You're going to have a hard time getting help here running that configuration. It's highly discouraged to virtualize freenas and if you do anyway, it's highly recommended to pass the controller and physical disks directly to the vm. Nested datastores as member disks is a recipe for disaster. I recommend you back up your data a rebuild your vm with physical controller/disk pass through and restore the data. Do it now before lightning strikes.

bighead81

Cadet
You're going to have a hard time getting help here running that configuration. It's highly discouraged to virtualize freenas and if you do anyway, it's highly recommended to pass the controller and physical disks directly to the vm. Nested datastores as member disks is a recipe for disaster. I recommend you back up your data a rebuild your vm with physical controller/disk pass through and restore the data. Do it now before lightning strikes.

Thanks for the response. So the setup i have has the pontential to become unstable. For your recommended setup I would need a raid card to connect the HD and then passthrough the pci slot.

gpsguy

No RAID card - just a HBA, like the IBM M1015. Look for a sticky written by jgreco along the lines of "If you must virtualized ..."

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.