expand zfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzhik

Dabbler
Hi!
I've change volume size on my vmware host for freenas server.
How to expand current zfs pool to new allocated free space on drive?

Mlovelace

Guru
Hi!
I've change volume size on my vmware host for freenas server.
For the freeNAS boot volume? You should not be using vmdk disks for the zpool, the freeNAS VM should have bare metal access to the hard drives.

muzhik

Dabbler
For the freeNAS boot volume? You should not be using vmdk disks for the zpool, the freeNAS VM should have bare metal access to the hard drives.
unfortunately, i have only esxi server.
not for boot volume, for volume with zfs pool (network share).

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You don't.

This setup is a very bad idea and you should understand the risks you are taking.

If you understand the risks and don't care about your data, the simplest way to expand would be to add a second virtual disk and then use the GUI to expand your pool. Please realize that this is a striped setup and if you lose either vmdk you will lose all data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I think, but am not sure, that zpool online -e <device name> would do the trick. But as others have posted, this is a spectacularly bad idea if you care about your data at all.

Stux

MVP
If you've grown the underlying device you need to replace the device in the pool with itself. Ie offline it, wipe it, and replace.

Repeat with all devices in the vdev and then the vdev will expand.

This will only work if the vdev has redundancy.

If it does not you need to make a NEW slice, then replace the existing slice with that slice, then you can destroy the original slice.

Status
Not open for further replies.