expanding volumes and shares on vmware hosted freenas

joerg_d

Cadet
I am running freenas (FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1) as a virtual machine under vmware esxi, which is hosted on a hardware raid system so there is no need to use another raid configuration inside the virtualized freenas.
The freenas vm had two harddisks, an 8GB bootdisk and another 2.0TB for the filepool.
Now the filepool is almost full and i grew the 2.0TB virtual disk to the size of 2.3TB via VMware settings (online, no problem).
Under show disks it is represented with its new capacity of 2.3TB (device da1 disk size).

I must have overseen something basic as i am unable to get the existing filepool using the added capacity of about 300G, it remains showing 1.9TiB for the filepool and the underlying (smb) share.

I tried to expand the pool via console with command "zfspool online -e filepool gptid/d52427f1-8a01-11e9-86f9-000c299b67c5" but it does not grow the filepool.

What can i do to expand volumes/shares without having to build a raid on virtual disks?

Thanks
Jörg D.

kdragon75

Wizard
Oh man. This is an unreliable setup. If this is your personal data, do as you like just don't blame FreeNAS for any issues you have.

If this is for a business or a client, shut it down and buy a windows license for a file server.

Take a look at the autoexpand property on the pool.

joerg_d

Cadet
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, for sure its only for personal data. For my own environment a can't afford a datacore setup and even if i'd like to have vmotion for my machines i won't buy a license beyond esxi free. Backup surely is running though.
Beside that all runs well for my home purposes. And freenas is only for some special needs. The rest is done by a samba 4 AD setup that is too restricted for some smb client hardware.
I read about that autoexpand property too but i can't find it in the gui of freenas. Maybe its after the warning of adding only larger or equal size disks to a pool (wich i cancelled so far).
Can you tell me a path where i can find that option?

Oh man. This is an unreliable setup. If this is your personal data, do as you like just don't blame FreeNAS for any issues you have.

If this is for a business or a client, shut it down and buy a windows license for a file server.

Take a look at the autoexpand property on the pool.

Thanks by now.
Jörg

kdragon75

Wizard
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, for sure its only for personal data. For my own environment a can't afford a datacore setup and even if i'd like to have vmotion for my machines i won't buy a license beyond esxi free. Backup surely is running though.
Beside that all runs well for my home purposes. And freenas is only for some special needs. The rest is done by a samba 4 AD setup that is too restricted for some smb client hardware.
I read about that autoexpand property too but i can't find it in the gui of freenas. Maybe its after the warning of adding only larger or equal size disks to a pool (wich i cancelled so far).
Can you tell me a path where i can find that option?

Thanks by now.
Jörg
It's not in the GUI. You will need to use ssh, local console, or the web console. While I could give you the command, you will learn more be looking for the details your self. You have the information needed to find the details.