SOLVED how to edit files in a dataset

figman

Dabbler
Hello i am trying to figure out how i can edit my plex media folders from inside truenas. i cannot figure out how to edit any of my files or folders in my pool, let alone just in my plex dataset. what am i missing? do i need to access and edit them using SSH or something? Sorry if this is a dumb question i am very new to hosting a server, especially on truenas.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What specifically are you trying to do? Typically, to modify the contents of a dataset, you create a share, and then map your desktop to that share. You can then edit the files from your desktop.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You need to define what you mean by edit files/folders. If I make an assumption that you are just trying to change the names of files (like movies or music) and then renaming or creating and deleting subdirectories (aka. folders), then you should setup a samba share and do it from an external computer, but yes you can do it from within TrueNAS, you must use the shell and use command line commands to manipulate the data.

figman

Dabbler
What specifically are you trying to do? Typically, to modify the contents of a dataset, you create a share, and then map your desktop to that share. You can then edit the files from your desktop.
You need to define what you mean by edit files/folders. If I make an assumption that you are just trying to change the names of files (like movies or music) and then renaming or creating and deleting subdirectories (aka. folders), then you should setup a samba share and do it from an external computer, but yes you can do it from within TrueNAS, you must use the shell and use command line commands to manipulate the data.
i apologize i shouldve been more clear. i have a season of a tv show that is in the wrong folder and i need to move it to the correct folder. so i just need to move a folder from one to another.

figman

Dabbler
thank you i will start setting up an nfs share and try accessing from another pc

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You could just use ssh instead. There is no file manager in the TrueNAS UI.

joeschmuck

Old Man
From within TrueNAS if you open the Shell (or you could SSH) then you could use the FreeBSD/Linux command 'mv' or even 'cp' and 'rm'. It is a command line function and it's not difficult if you know the name of the files. You could use a wildcard to grab all the files that say start with the name 'StarTrek' and then move them into the proper directory. But if you need to reorganize often or just need to add or remove files, creating a share is the best way forward, only because it will be easier to use. But if you have huge amounts of data, it would be faster to use the command line.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You could just use ssh instead. There is no file manager in the TrueNAS UI.

From Shell, there's mc for old-school file management, for those who remember Norton Commander from the MS-DOS days.

joeschmuck

Old Man
From Shell, there's mc for old-school file management, for those who remember Norton Commander from the MS-DOS days.
Holy cow! That is some good information. I do remember high end GUI's like this from back in the day. They don't compare to todays drag and drop or cut and paste GUI's of today but they worked fine.

Redcoat

MVP
While I used mc a lot "back in the day", somewhat perversely enjoying the feeling of stepping back in time to my "Norton-User" days, that was before I heard of winscp...

figman

Dabbler
so i have setup an SMB share that i can access from my linux desktop. i can access the folder i setup specifically for an smb share with my login info but when i try to access the plex folder from the same place it asks me to login again and my username/password doesnt work for the plex folder. any suggestions?

Also thank you all for your suggestions! Honestly the terminal scares me. I use it in fedora as much as i can but im still to new to be comfortable with using to mess with files. Unless somone has a good guide or if its just super easy and im just being stupid about it haha.

Also i agree that it would be an extremely useful feature to have in the UI!

Redcoat

MVP

joeschmuck

Old Man
so i have setup an SMB share that i can access from my linux desktop. i can access the folder i setup specifically for an smb share with my login info but when i try to access the plex folder from the same place it asks me to login again and my username/password doesnt work for the plex folder. any suggestions?
It sounds like a files permission issue, very common unfortunately. I set my files and folders to full access by anyone, then then again the firewall is very well blocked and my wife only plays on her smartphone.

figman

Dabbler
It sounds like a files permission issue, very common unfortunately. I set my files and folders to full access by anyone, then then again the firewall is very well blocked and my wife only plays on her smartphone.
ya i have a lot of issues with file permissions haha. usually i can use chown to take ownership with my user and it usually works in the moment but i dont even know what folder i would take ownership of to fix this one. any suggestions?

joeschmuck

Old Man
For me, and I'm just speaking for myself, I'd chmod all the subdirectories and files that your media are located in to 777, but that allows anyone the option to rename or delete them as well. But you might be able to get the task done. Is it proper to do this? Some will say no, some will say sure. That is up to you. Google how to chmod all files and subdirectories, you should find several links. You could even just make a change to one subdirectory to give it a try.

Good Luck.

homer27081990

Patron

Also thank you all for your suggestions! Honestly the terminal scares me. I use it in fedora as much as i can but im still to new to be comfortable with using to mess with files. Unless somone has a good guide or if its just super easy and im just being stupid about it haha.

Also i agree that it would be an extremely useful feature to have in the UI!
Make your user a member of the plex group

figman

Dabbler
For anybody wondering, the way that i fixed the access to the plex folder through smb was while setting up the smb share make sure you set your ACL preset to open. i did not do this and had to strip all the ACL's associated with that dataset then recreate the SMB share and recreate the ACL with OPEN preset. im sure that was a bit obvious to some but took me forever to realize and try lol. thank you very much for all of your suggestions as well ill be honest i was confused on if i do some of the suggestions on my linux desktop or on the truenas server. i tried some on both with no luck haha, i really felt like a newbie lol. thanks again everyone really do appreciate it.