SOLVED Not Sure on How Large a Dataset Can Be

denaba

Explorer
When creating a dataset is there a limitation on how large it can be?

Reason I ask is I have media in 5 folders and they total up to a lot of TB's. I don't want to make a dataset for each if I can avoid it, but I do not want to miss out on the dataset features you can do.

So is ok to have just one large dataset folder with my media inside of it or better to breakout each of the 5 folders I have?

My use is 3 Windows 10 computers access the files. Not at once and pretty much nothing like what I see people here have. High time is one Win10 accessing the files anytime of the day. Very, very rare do two computers access the TrueNAS files.

Interested to see what you think about this. Thank you

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
When creating a dataset is there a limitation on how large it can be?
Large of enough to be irrelevant.

I don't want to make a dataset for each if I can avoid it
Why not? Will you be treating them differently? Do they benefit from different properties like encryption, compression, etc.? Or maybe you might want to be able to move them independently using zfs send? If either of those applies, you'll need a dataset for that.

Is it just one huge monolithic blob? Then go with a single dataset.

sretalla