SOLVED How do I edit a file in a plugin's jail?

jfarms

Cadet
I've really hit a wall trying to fix my Plex server plugin after following every thread I could find on it, and could use help.

My Plex issue is that whenever I try to manage the plugin, I am told "You do not have permission to access this server". Plex mentions this issue on their site, saying https://support.plex.tv/articles/20...d-out-of-server-settings-and-how-do-i-get-in/ . Which tells me I need to access an xml file located within the plex plugin jail https://support.plex.tv/articles/202915258-where-is-the-plex-media-server-data-directory-located/ .

I have not been able to figure out how to access that file in the plex plugin jail. Based on reading other threads, I tried using ee in the console to the directory where the xml file is supposed to be, but that brought up an empty screen, and the consensus seemed to be to ssh into the jail and access the file.

So I installed Putty on my windows desktop and used it to SSH into my truenas after turning on the SSH service, log in as root with password and allow password authentication . That worked fine and brought up a console. I also opened up filezilla client on my windows desktop and used sftp to access the truenas. That brought up a file directory that is attached.

I couldn't find any files from my plex plugin within that directory, so I then followed the instructions on this post: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/access-to-a-jail.94760/ .

It didn't change anything in the files listed within filezilla. Any advice about how I can access the xml file mentioned by Plex support?

Warning- I'm extremely a novice. I'm pretty diligent when it comes to doing research to find solutions, but so much of this is brand new to me (including linux- I had to bring up a vi guide to learn how to make the edits in the 'access-to-a-jail' post after realizing it's not like notepad++). So please assume I know absolutely nothing- I'm trying, but this is all greek to me at this point.

Attachments

• filezilla.png
    filezilla.png
    56 KB · Views: 157

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
No need to enable SSH in the plugin. You can navigate to the Plex Media Server directory in the TrueNAS Shell. cd /mnt/<name of your pool>/iocage/jails/plex/root/usr/local/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server/.

jfarms

Cadet
No need to enable SSH in the plugin. You can navigate to the Plex Media Server directory in the TrueNAS Shell. cd /mnt/<name of your pool>/iocage/jails/plex/root/usr/local/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server/.
Thanks- so I did that (I'm on truenas 12, so the directory was just ${JAIL_ROOT}/Plex Media Server/. Then I used ee to open Preferences.xml, but it was only two lines, and didn't have any of the entries the Plex support post suggested it would. Is there any chance that the fact that I used ee would have made only part of the file visible? Or do I need to now go over to Plex support to figure this out?

Samuel Tai

I would destroy and rebuild the plugin. It's possible you had an incomplete plugin build.

jfarms

Cadet
I would destroy and rebuild the plugin. It's possible you had an incomplete plugin build.
I have not only done that, but also tried reinstalling truenas, going from 13 to 12, and even took out the ssd I have been using for jails, and wiped it with 0's in a comical excess of caution. Same error every single time. I've posted on the plex forums, and I think in the meantime I'll just keep using emby.

Samuel Tai

You could also try @danb35's script for building Plex in a generic jail, instead of using the plugin.

jfarms

Cadet
You could also try @danb35's script for building Plex in a generic jail, instead of using the plugin.
So that led me down the path to fixing it- thanks! Turns out the problem was with the router and plex- installing with DHCP never worked so I was using static IP. I had been using the same netmask (32) each time and it reported that it was installing fine, but after reading @danb35's git post, I just tried cycling through different netmasks, and on 24 it finally connected to Plex and access was authorized.